Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugins on the Master bus
(09-17-2019, 05:23 PM)Matt Wrote: I have izotope ozone and will usually put it on the master buss and let it do it’s auto thing to get an idea of what might can be a bit better. I don’t always leave it on there. I also have softube’s drawmer s73 I sometimes pop on for a quick and dirty “master”. I can usually get a rough mix pretty polished quickly with it.

I want to clarify, especially for this familiar with ozone, I don’t let it do it’s “learning” thing and just go with that. I’m mainly checking to see what it does. That way I can go back and fix whatever element it’s fixing before it hits the master buss. I’m mostly interested in how it’s treating the low end, as imo that’s the hardest part to get right in a small (but somewhat treated) room. Once it’s just doing some mild eq/comp/limiting I’ll either tweak it a bit to taste. Or even bypass it, and try some other more “analog” plugs.
(09-21-2019, 05:20 AM)Matt Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 05:23 PM)Matt Wrote: I have izotope ozone and will usually put it on the master buss and let it do it’s auto thing to get an idea of what might can be a bit better. I don’t always leave it on there. I also have softube’s drawmer s73 I sometimes pop on for a quick and dirty “master”. I can usually get a rough mix pretty polished quickly with it.

I want to clarify, especially for this familiar with ozone, I don’t let it do it’s “learning” thing and just go with that. I’m mainly checking to see what it does. That way I can go back and fix whatever element it’s fixing before it hits the master buss. I’m mostly interested in how it’s treating the low end, as imo that’s the hardest part to get right in a small (but somewhat treated) room. Once it’s just doing some mild eq/comp/limiting I’ll either tweak it a bit to taste. Or even bypass it, and try some other more “analog” plugs.

Hi Matt,
Thanks for that clarification, I too have Ozone.
This seems like a nice way to use Ozone as the learn function gives you a starting point that you can tweak
When you use other plugins do you basically try and match what Ozone's results were?

(09-19-2019, 01:53 PM)JamieLang Wrote: I just have to draw the line between my VERY traditional buss compressor and occasionally EQ....and latent "mastering" chains of plug in kit.

The mastering stuff is a bad idea on many many levels. I feel like I should leave it at that....you're going to have to trust me (or you know, don't Wink )...but, there's a functional reason to use a compressor on the mix bus...>NOT>.....a limiter....a compressor. It WILL need to be full control, and if you're not up for that, you're better off without. If you think there's a such a thing as presets for such a function as example--you want "none". While you can certainly save presets that become a kind of starting point....they'll need to be adjusted often significantly for every song. I tend to use the "medium knee" on the 2500 more than soft or hard--as example...."loud" on the detector....individual channels or 60% linked rather than 100....but, where the threshold goes....where the attack and release go...is completely different every time.

Quick update....I did in fact have the API 2500 by waves and tried it on a mix....the API kicks ass. Smile
Can't believe it was just sitting in my library geez.....I really should use or at least try the rest of my plugins lol