Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latency issues in recording
Hey folks, I'm looking for help. I have been trying to record a song today, guitar (acoustic, vocals, Mandolin) and i'm having some serious Latency issues. I've tried everything I can think of, changed the buffer size, sample rate etc and still really bad.

I'm running Harrison mixbus 32C with Windows 10 64bit, focusrite 18i8. Any help would be much appreciated and also simplified too as I'm not massively tech savvy...
(09-10-2019, 07:18 AM)ikklery Wrote: Hey folks, I'm looking for help. I have been trying to record a song today, guitar (acoustic, vocals, Mandolin) and i'm having some serious Latency issues. I've tried everything I can think of, changed the buffer size, sample rate etc and still really bad.

I'm running Harrison mixbus 32C with Windows 10 64bit, focusrite 18i8. Any help would be much appreciated and also simplified too as I'm not massively tech savvy...

Make sure the buffering is set low enough for the interface in audio setup. At the top right of the main window there is a number of milliseconds of latency. This should be not much more than 20 milliseconds.

But not included in this measurement is latency that can be introduced by plugins. If you have plugins inserted anywhere, I suggest you bypass all the ones you can while recording. You can turn them back on when its time for mixing. Any plugin that uses look ahead will introduce unwanted latency.
(09-10-2019, 02:39 PM)Black Jacque Shellac Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 07:18 AM)ikklery Wrote: Hey folks, I'm looking for help. I have been trying to record a song today, guitar (acoustic, vocals, Mandolin) and i'm having some serious Latency issues. I've tried everything I can think of, changed the buffer size, sample rate etc and still really bad.

Make sure the buffering is set low enough for the interface in audio setup. At the top right of the main window there is a number of milliseconds of latency. This should be not much more than 20 milliseconds.

But not included in this measurement is latency that can be introduced by plugins. If you have plugins inserted anywhere, I suggest you bypass all the ones you can while recording. You can turn them back on when its time for mixing. Any plugin that uses look ahead will introduce unwanted latency.

Thankyou for the advice, I will try it out tomorrow and will keep you posted.

So are you using Mixbus for monitoring? Why not Scarlett Mixcontrol?

Cheers,
MMM
Agreed. You need to use the hardware....the only difference in the average ASIO DAW on Windows and Mixbus is that there's NO support for ASIO Direct Monitoring. So you HAVE to use the Focusrite UI to handle that....where Cubase or Reaper or Studio One with one check box will automatically handle that so you never have to leave the DAW's UI.

FWIW--there are downsides to ASIO DM....so, it's always a good idea to know how to use your interface hardware mixer--but, I'm offering that as explanation of difference from something else you might be used to, which might automagically just make it so....
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com