Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixing with optical or spdif cables
Anyone like to mix with digital cables, if so what’s it like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you mean, have your stereo mix go to a SPDIF converter?

For years I had my ITB 2-track mixes go through an APOGEE PSY100 without any issue.
What I mean is having a sound card with a optical output and using a speaker with optical input or coax

(09-12-2019, 06:09 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: What I mean is having a sound card with a optical output and using a speaker with optical input or coax

That one I've never done. Mainly due to having some sort of device either a console with speaker selection or a monitoring device like a Mackie Big Knob before my speakers.

With Mixbus, you do have the monitoring feature which can do a lot of those same functions like control volume, dim, and mono source. One thing I think I'd miss is headphones on my main output if you send it digitally to a pair of monitors with a D/A built-in.
Ahh Right, I understand

Yes--I don't know why you're asking, but I've mixed for many years now with an external DAC.

"speakers" with digital inputs just have DACs built into them.

My entire home studio is 2x2 professional (Benchmark/Burl) conversion that I then connect via SPDIF or AES to whatever interface for whatever Turing Machine is around. Buy once.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
What gear do you have, and what are you trying to achieve?

You say sound card, and in my mind I think of something like a sound blaster pcie card. If you’re using something like that, any relatively recent usb audio interface could be better. Mostly because your getting all the audio circuits out of the pc case, were there can possibly be electronic noise issues. But if you already have a usb/FireWire/thunderbolt interface, you’re probably alright. Most inexpensive interfaces these days are really good, and do not negatively affect the audio.

And I’m not saying more expensive interfaces aren’t better. Just it’s a law of diminishing returns, and these days the returns drop off very quickly. At least in overall sound quality. The biggest gains you get with more expensive interfaces is more total channels of I/O.

Anyway get us some more details and we can better answer your question.
I was planning on using a hifiberry model with optical and I was looking at a edifier bookshelf speaker to use for referencing and a bit of mixing which has a optical input, but I was told that some models of the speaker have a dac and some just have some sort of dsp that goes straight to the class d amps of the speaker and not needing to have a dac in the speaker on those models

(09-12-2019, 09:02 PM)mrskytown11 Wrote: I was planning on using a hifiberry model with optical and I was looking at a edifier bookshelf speaker to use for referencing and a bit of mixing which has a optical input, but I was told that some models of the speaker have a dac and some just have some sort of dsp that goes straight to the class d amps of the speaker and not needing to have a dac in the speaker on those models

Okay just looked up those speakers. And while I’m no EE, I actually did study electronic in college. I’ve not kept up with class D amps, but even going digital from the hifiberry to the amp in the speaker will still require a conversion. Unless there’s something new I’m unaware of. But digital signal you’re sending is a PCM (pulse code modulated) signal. Class D amps use pwm (pulse width modulation) to produce the sound. So a “digital amp” isn’t just amplifying the digital signal you’re sending.

Also, I’ve not heard those speakers, so take this with a grain of salt, but they wouldn’t be my first choice. I do have some of the first gen JBL LSR 305’s. And they’re really good imo. And designed for mixing. And the newer ones are supposed to be better.

So just my opinion, and I realize it can be difficult to get gear in some places, if possible I would look at something like the JBL’s and maybe a 2 channel usb interface. Focusrite, presonus, tascam, (or any of the many other brands) all make ones that will be more than adequate.

Just my .02.
Ya I understand, there must be some type of dac I unno, but second to that, I know those speakers aren’t the best but neither are yamahas ns10s which many mixers use. I would rather have multiple speakers to reference from regardless.