Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latency misleading?
Am I missing something? The latency that is shown at the top is a bit misleading. If plugins are added that introduce latency, this latency is not added there. Lately when trying to add a new track to a previous final mix, its never final it seems, I was getting unbearable latency even though the latency reported at the top was 10ms. It took me a while of head scratching before I remembered that plugins could introduce latency and I then bypassed them to lay down my track.

I think it would be helpful to have the full latency instead of only the interface's latency at the top or at least an indication that plugin latency have been introduced.
Few apps do this. Cubase and Protools put the total for the PDC per channel, but they don't add the IO (which is all Mixbus displays)....and I'm not sure they total up the PDC. I would definitely think having that read the complete RTL in an app's current state would be ideal.

I would up vote that as a feature request.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
The status-bar shows the configured, nominal buffersize (in msec) and samplerate from Audio/MIDI setup.
Roundtrip latency is at least twice that value, and usually even larger due to systemic latency.

I like the idea of adding an indicator of plugin latency, or display the time of "longest delay path through Mixbus" to the status-bar. Noted on the ToDo list for a future version.

You can currently get this value, via Menu > Window > Lua Scripting, paste
Code:
print (Session:worst_track_latency()) -- in samples
print (Session:worst_track_latency() * 1000 / Session:nominal_frame_rate(), "ms")
and press "run"

(keep in mind that the built-in limiter on the master-bus adds latency when enabled)
(08-22-2019, 03:48 PM)x42 Wrote: The status-bar shows the configured, nominal buffersize (in msec) and samplerate from Audio/MIDI setup.
Roundtrip latency is at least twice that value, and usually even larger due to systemic latency.

I like the idea of adding an indicator of plugin latency, or display the time of "longest delay path through Mixbus" to the status-bar. Noted on the ToDo list for a future version.

You can currently get this value, via Menu > Window > Lua Scripting, paste
Code:
print (Session:worst_track_latency()) -- in samples
print (Session:worst_track_latency() * 1000 / Session:nominal_frame_rate(), "ms")
and press "run"

(keep in mind that the built-in limiter on the master-bus adds latency when enabled)

Thanks for the info, it helps. I did not know about the limiter. I will turn it off when laying down tracks. Every little bit helps. I guess the idea is to keep things as barebone as possible when recording and wait when its time to mix to add the needed processing.