Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next question is Mixing on bookshelf speakers
Has anyone found success mixing on bookshelf speakers, or using them for referencing mixes etc, I saw some nice ones not but sure if I can even bother, I have rocket 5 g3 6 inch speakers I believe but I find I need another speaker 🔈 for mixing as well, maybe I don’t have the best ones I need but I like using speakers that others may use like in many studios use Yamaha ns10s even though they Are not quality speakers they are still used etc, I almost wanted to get a mono car speaker to use as reference as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use from time to time a single Behritone speaker for checking out midrange response. I put Mixbus32C in mono mode then output through that speaker. The Behritone is supposedly modeled after the Avantone which was used by many.
Oh ok thanks, I was also thinking about getting a mono speaker as well, I’ll look into that more as well. I just have. Feeling that certain speakers might be better for me as mixing on certain studio monitors I feel don’t always help me to get what I’m looking for outside of the studio

(08-18-2019, 04:53 PM)mrskytown11 Wrote: Oh ok thanks, I was also thinking about getting a mono speaker as well, I’ll look into that more as well. I just have. Feeling that certain speakers might be better for me as mixing on certain studio monitors I feel don’t always help me to get what I’m looking for outside of the studio

If you are mixing solely to be played back on your own home stereo - by all means use that home stereo for mixing. If you want to sound good on a wide variety of playback devices you will find that mixing on studio monitors gets you there. Even Behritones are not just $5 Walmart boxes - they are properly built and accurate in a certain frequency band - that's why Aura-/Behritones are used in studios. Proper build and linearity (even more in full range speakers) come at a price and, as I explained in the passive monitor + amp thread, you can't just connect random speakers to random amplifiers if you want a mix which translates well.

MMM
So then me wanting to use a a/v receiver with a bookshelf speaker such as this https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-41M-Pow...B07FKH3VPV

(08-19-2019, 11:04 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: So then me wanting to use a a/v receiver with a bookshelf speaker such as this https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-41M-Pow...B07FKH3VPV

One look at the thickness of the walls tells a lot. Also the hard edges.
There's no frequency chart provided nor to find with a quick Google search. I bet they are scooped as they are HiFi speakers. Klipsch don't say anything about the quality of the passive builtin crossover and a crossover frequency of 1.7kHz seems a bit low to me, especially in a non-coaxial design. Not sure if their horn design makes up for it.

But hey, you seem to have set your mind to it, and as others have pointed out, if you spend the time to learn your listening rig and use lots of reference material you'll be mixing ok - to a degree.
Good luck and lots of fun!

MMM

P.S.: if you want small, bookshelf-like monitors: there are plenty on the market at comparable prices (to bookshelf+amp). You just connect them and have fun. All speakers in my link are better (for mixing) than any HiFi rig. Have a look at Fluid Audio speakers - they are bang for the buck I can tell.
https://www.storedj.com.au/studio-gear/s...eProduct=1 ==> and these are Australian dollars Smile
https://www.fluidaudio.com/products/fade.../fx50.html ==> I have an older 8" version
Thanks i think I really just need a mono speaker for referencing along with my studio monitors. So I’ll look into that and if I have to get a particular one

I seem to be jumping in the middle of a conversation. But if your mixes aren’t translating well, what kind of treatment have you done in your room? The room can play a huge role in how your mixes translate. Regardless of speaker. My room has a pretty big issue around 80-100hz. Made it impossible (at least for me) to get the low end “right”. I’ve started properly treating it, and now my mixes are translating much better.
Ya I was aware of this myself, my old setup I know I needed more carefully room treatment rather than foam pieces on the opposite end of the cones of my speakers and a sofa bed in the background to help as well with reflections, I need to take care of my room etc, I find using Apple EarPods (wired headphones) helped me referencing my latest project and it helped since my studio monitors were not helping with things in the mix.

Yeah the thing with room issues is, they’ll translate to every speaker you put in there. You can somewhat mitigate them with lower volume. But that doesn’t make them go away. And since our hearing varies depending on volume, you basically trading one issue for another. So treat the room first.

That said, while I agree that monitors/speakers designed for mixing, will mostly be better for that task. I did see an interesting video a while back, where the guy was talking about buying used high end speakers cheap and using them for mixing. And upon thinking about it, he had a point. The speakers he was talking about, are designed for the best possible audio reproduction. The speakers he was talking about probably original sold for more than $1000 per pair and he was buying for them for less than $400. (Sorry I don’t remember the models he mentioned.) he said they would be more truthful than $500 monitors. And it makes some sense. Can’t say if he’s right or wrong. But something to consider. Fwiw I’ve always wanted a pair if magnepan speakers. I’ve heard of mastering studios that sometimes use them. And one of the most common comments I see in reviews, is that they can tell which albums were mixed by pros on high end systems. And those that weren’t. As they hear every wart.

That said, the one thing he was definitely doing, was using a proper amp. I would definitely stay away from using a receiver. But any modern solid state amp should more than suffice. 100 watts per side should probably be plenty. And shouldn’t cost too much.