Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixing on passive speakers with amp or a/v receiver
Anyone mix on passive speakers, I like being able to swap out speakers and keep the same amp or a/v receivers, should I use a/v receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-17-2019, 02:58 PM)mrskytown11 Wrote: Anyone mix on passive speakers, I like being able to swap out speakers and keep the same amp or a/v receivers, should I use a/v receivers.

Every combination of a pair (HF/LF) of proper studio monitor amps with crossover and a set of proper speakers (of course speakers and amps need to be matched, too) will outprice the equivalent set of powered active-crossover bi-amped speakers by far.

MMM
I’m not too experienced with amps, could I use a a/v receiver to power a decent set of monitors.

(08-18-2019, 03:18 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: I’m not too experienced with amps, could I use a a/v receiver to power a decent set of monitors.

A chain is only as good as its weakest link. Consumer a/v receivers might not deliver the linearity you are after in a monitoring situation. There may be impedance mismatches with your monitors and, depending on your audio interface output, also in the amp inputs. Professional and consumer line levels differ, and consumer equipment has only unbalanced inputs, so in the worst case you will catch noise/hum.

What I try to say is that's way less hassle to just buy a pair of active monitors and start mixing. If you want to switch on the fly between different ones, your best option is to get one of these monitor stations - I wouldn't want to miss mine. They are available from Behringer, Presonus, Audient and others... find the one which fits your needs best (and is affordable) - I surprisingly chose the Behringer Xenix Control over the Presonus Monitorstation v2... because of the features (I had them both here but of course you need only one haha).

But hey, every setup is different and you need to decide how much effort you invest Smile

MMM
Thanks for that Smile