Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using bass harmonic enhancers
When adding bass harmonics what is the best way to use them, do I reduce the real bass when adding harmonic bass in the upper frequencies like for example do I reduce 60hz when I want the bass to extend up to 250hz etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think there are two ways
- the bass originally contains the harmonics but they level is low and you( the plugin) increasses the ones present
- the bass does not contain upper harmonics (better to say contain very little) and the plugin can add odd and even or both harmonics depending on what it can do and what you choose.
Adding harmonics does not reduce the original low content of the signal
The third way when you or the plug can increase the harmonics not over but below the fundamental frequency of the instrument.
Put Voxengo Span fee or any analyzer on the track and you will see what you or the plug did.

I must note that most plugins, compressors mainly add harmonics and harmonic distortion up and down depending on the type and settings but no harmonics can be generated by them if the input signal of the plugin is too low. It is an either not well known or mostly forgotten fact.

Also can be tested and experimented by real time spectrum analyzers.
I may have misunderstood your question and all these do not explain any you were looking for.
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Good answers, Tassy.

Our "Bass Character" plugin is specifically built to locate and enhance the harmonics of your instrument (including the first harmonic or "fundamental"). You might try it first.

If the instrument is truly missing the harmonics entirely (relatively rare) then the only option is to add more harmonics with a distortion effect. That's what happens in a typical "harmonic enhancer", or "exciters", etc.

When possible, it's generally better to capture a brighter sound when you are recording. Then use EQ and/or the Bass Character plugin to adjust the level of brightness.

Best,
-Ben
Thanks Ben

Yes, the XT-BC plugin works quite well and is a charm to use.

Cheers.
That’s cool, man there’s so much plugins out there it’s like amazing and a pain, often I use to feel like I need them all but often times I already have something in my toolkit that can do the job. But I do like Harrison’s plugins, I also like that they work in any platform.