Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MB - Effects Sends
A newby question as I recently purchased MB32C. In other DAWS I've used, there is normally Effects sends on each channel. But not so with MB ? I have experimented with making my last 3 (out of 12) mix busses into Echo (10), Reverb (11) and Chorus (12), where I insert those effects (UAD2 Plugins) on those busses respectively.

Then anything I want reverb on I send to bus 10 (as well as its designated mix bus).

Is this how its normally done on MB ? I find this routing a bit strange as I can only 'send' to effects from channels, not from other busses which has some side effects as a workflow, so I'm thinking I'm missing something here ?
Welcome to the mixbus forum. Seems that you never used a real console before. In short, Mixbus32 emulate the sound and the workflow of a real console. That means that best way is to "forget" your old DAW habits and adopt a console mixing style. Since you new to mixbus32, read the manual and watch the videos. They are great resources and have a lot of tips and "how to" guides . You'll find the stuff in the "help" menu in mixbus32. By the way, you are into something in your suggestions.

Mixbus32c 5.2 on Kubuntu Linux 64 18.04 LTS, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz - 12 Gb RAM

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
I have lots of time on Sonar and Studio One, so I know exactly where you're coming from. On MixBus there are 12 sends on each track. All the sends come directly from the tracks and not the busses. I understand this, and some other things can seem like limitations. As Sthauge said, MixBus is intended to work as an analog console and it doesn't do things exactly like every other DAW out there. I find the MixBus "limitations" are no limitations at all, but instead a great solution to potential clutter. On the surface, I find MixBus much more simple, which is a bit counterintuitive compared to other DAWs where added complexity almost seems a goal. I emphasize "on the surface" because under the hood there is lots of cool stuff. Just do some mixes as the tools are presented and let that sink in a bit, keeping in mind it is not intended to be just like other DAWs. I still use Studio One a lot and love it, but sometimes I feel like my hands are tied a bit relative to when I'm on MixBus. Here's my buss template that has worked great for almost everything I've thrown at it:

1. Drum Skins
2. Bass
3. Parallel Compression (usually drums and bass)
4. Guitars
5. Keys
6. Orchestra
7. Vocals
8. Plate
9. Room 1
10. Room 2
11. EchoBoy
12. Repeater

I also use a good many VCA's each for OH/Room, kick, snare, toms, all drums, BGVs, lead Vox, and anything else I want to split out or gang together in different ways. I then have only three audio processing plugins on the master bus. As much as I love Studio One, I really miss some of the features and ease of access I get on MixBus.

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
So @Donny, if you have 4 vocal tracks and you want some Room 1 reverb on them, you send those tracks to both busses 7 & 9 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-01-2019, 11:02 PM)DanteMurphy Wrote: So @Donny, if you have 4 vocal tracks and you want some Room 1 reverb on them, you send those tracks to both busses 7 & 9 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, being mindful to also turn off the master bus send on those tracks as well. Then, I'd also send to any other of the effects busses I may use. If I want a room to a plate, I'd add it on the end of the room bus and blend with it's wet/dry. Maybe some others may chime in with other approaches, but this is working nicely for me. Another factor for this is the Audio Connections window, you may want to check that out. That's one of the "Under the Hood" things I mentioned that may add some flexibility. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4SU6jYW2Q&t=3s
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Thanks @Don, that's similar to how I've been using the last few busses as effects sends. To be honest, I do find the lack of dedicated FX/return paths annoying, and don't accept that that's related to it meant to be behaving like a real analog desk (most of which do have dedicated FX/Send Returns). I think it's just the way the original hardware version would have been (although I've never used a real Harrison desk).

However, I now have 4 pretty good HM mixes set up and I like the sound of them. I like the notion that its a circuit level emulation that's yielding that sound. And I'm liking the 'real desk' paradigm so will continue working with MH32C with excitement !

And when I run out of sonic/creative possibilities - I'll take some time of making music to watch the vid ! Thx for the advice/link.
If you are not using non UA plugins that don’t introduce delay compensation, use the aux bus as your dedicated FX send that way you will not have limitations. And then assign it to one of the eight buses to glue them together. That’s how I do it. Only plugins from the UA I put on the Mixbus.
Cool thanks - Ill experiment with those Smile