Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apollo Twin SPDIF Mixbus32c
I could not find a resolution to my issue after searching apollo, spdif, etc. I believe i am missing something in Mixbus32 but cant seem to find the error of my ways.

Hardware Setup - verified all hardware is working without any errors.
Win10 PC Optical out via Mixbus (MME) > optical/coax converter> Kemper profiler Coax in (kemper software set to SPDIF input and SPDIF output)
Kemper profiler > coax out > coax/optical converter> Apollo Twin Optical in

Sending a DI recording out via Mixbus32 to Kemper for reamping then into the Apollo Twin optical input. Trying to keep the signal in the digital domain.

Issue: I can hear the reamp via the Apollo Twin monitor out to headphones or powered speakers etc. but have not been able to configure Mixbus32 v.5 to record the SPDIF channel of the Apollo. I can see the SPDIF signal in the Apollo console software but again i have not been able to connect an input within Mixbus32 to then record... what am i missing?
depending on how i change the Mixbus setup to MME or ASIO i can see the different inputs/outptus on the apollo twin but i have not been able to configure where i can reamp and then record the spdif signal, only hear/see that the reamp is working.

I have tried to use ASIO4All and setup the input as Apollo Twin and the output as ASIO4All but an error is displayed. The only way i have been able to hear, see the signal of the reamp is to set it to MME and select Apollo Twin as input and PC as the output.

thanks for your time and help.
Hi there,

I suggest these steps:

Firstly, you should always use the ASIO device. MME is the windows built-in mixer. MME is limited to 2-channel I/O, it is lower quality, and it allows other devices to open the device at the same time. You need to use ASIO so all of the Apollo i/o is available to Mixbus, and no other software is using the Apollo.

Secondly, please read the Apollo manual to understand which i/o number is assigned to each port. In Mixbus, the ports are numbered 1...n, and you need to know which ports are the spdif. For example, if the Apollo twin has 2 analog inputs and 2 spdif, then the spdif inputs are probably ports 3&4.

Thirdly, you should read the Mixbus manual so you know how to select an input and output for each track or bus. Here is a good link to start on:
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...c/jack-i-o

Finally , make sure that you've set the clocks in your devices correctly, so that one of the devices (the kemper?) is slaved to the other at the same rate.

I hope this helps!
You're missing that he's trying to use multiple audio cards because he bought an interface without a digital output. He's trying to feed the track out through the SPDIF of the on board audio card of the PC and back in via the Apollo.

Won't work.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
Ah, right. Mixbus doesn't have a feature to address 2 different soundcards at once. You can do it on Mac by making an Aggregate device in the mac settings. But Windows doesn't have that feature.

Thanks for correcting me, JamieLang
Actually I think Ben was right, the OP is just using a converter from SPDIF to the optical in in the Apollo.
Choosing the correct input channel is the way to go.

I can suggest to also create an insert in a track for reamping. Mixbus will use the latency compensation and actually measure the real latency. Awesome feature.

I use a very similar setup with some outboard: Mixbus32C > sound card > SPDIF out > outboard > SPDIF in > Mixbus.
Where does the OP's audio leave the computer to go to the Kemper? HIs PC audio card's SPDIF. The format converter box (coax to optical) on the way back in isn't the issue. The Apollo Twin doesn't HAVE a digital output. Only the optical input.

I also want to offer the advice to the OP--that it doesn't matter. Reamping isn't really something where the nuances of fidelity of that output is that important--you're literally going to feed it into a squarewave generating 44.1 model of a guitar amp. Also digitally connecting limits you to using 44.1 for the OTHER tracks and the mixbus mixer circuit models. Where if you use the tried and true analog connections, you can use 96khz all day, and the whole thing sounds better INCLUDING the analog IO loop you're using for the reamping. So, while what you're asking can't be done (well)...it doesn't mean you can't use the hardware/software you have to achieve what you want in the panned back sense.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
(06-23-2019, 07:22 PM)JamieLang Wrote: Where does the OP's audio leave the computer to go to the Kemper? HIs PC audio card's SPDIF.

Exactly, so he's using one audio card.
Now, where is he recording the input from simultaneously ?
SPDIF is two channels.