Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
High Performance Workstations
With all the news about the new Mac Pro, I ended up at this site for high-performance workstations via comments on some articles I read. I'm in no way affiliated with them and sure as hell can't afford one right now, LOL, but I thought it would be interesting to share, as workstations are part of what we do. I'm running great on my current rig, but some really interesting things to look at here, and their customer list...wow.

https://www.boxx.com/

https://www.boxx.com/about-us/our-customers

I also came across another company (again, not affiliated in any way) that I wasn't familiar with via article comments as well. Black Magic Design and their DaVinci Resolve video editor (apparently a really badass one). They were actually mentioned in the Apple WWDC Monday in the part about the new Mac OS updates, which was cool to see. Actually reminded me of Harrison and MixBus a little bit, in that it may be one you don't hear about a lot, but has amazing products. I was blown away by the tutorial videos, and there's a free version...again, wow.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product...ciresolve/

They have some really serious looking gear.

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
(06-06-2019, 10:08 PM)doncolga Wrote: ...

I also came across another company (again, not affiliated in any way) that I wasn't familiar with via article comments as well. Black Magic Design and their DaVinci Resolve video editor (apparently a really badass one). They were actually mentioned in the Apple WWDC Monday in the part about the new Mac OS updates, which was cool to see. Actually reminded me of Harrison and MixBus a little bit, in that it may be one you don't hear about a lot, but has amazing products. I was blown away by the tutorial videos, and there's a free version...again, wow.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product...ciresolve/

They have some really serious looking gear.

Donny

I have been using Resolve for years at my day-job... it is indeed badass, and it is indeed FREE, as long as you use the single-user version (the paid version lets multiple people work simultaneously on the same project).

We leave the project files on a network share, and multiple people here can 'take turns' working on the same project (using the free version).

I haven't yet tried the linux version but I use it regularly on both PC and Mac workstations at the office. Looking to put together a "SUPER BANG FOR BUCK" Linux workstation soon - destined to be dedicated for MixBus and Resolve. Haven't figured out what it's gonna consist of yet, but hope to start putting one together in August!
A Linux workstation for Mixbus 32C + bitwig studio3 and Da vinci resolve is my project for 2020. Actually trying ubuntu studio 19.04 on a pro HP, works great.
Mixbus 32C V10 Pro|Reaper 7|Ubuntu Studio 24.04|Mac os X|Merging HAPI MKII and Anubis|SSL Big Six| 01V96i|
(06-11-2019, 04:21 AM)PascalC Wrote: A Linux workstation for Mixbus 32C + bitwig studio3 and Da vinci resolve is my project for 2020. Actually trying ubuntu studio 19.04 on a pro HP, works great.

Really?
I'm afraid to try it,Tongue but I will try. I hope work too!
IMO for audio use, a generation or two old workstation would be overkill. Video would be different. But I’ve purchased a couple of used xeon based workstations for good deals. I had two HP Z series workstations. I forget the exact models. I think a 420 and then 620. Right now I have a dell T5810. By today’s standard they’re all quite old. But work great for me. And I have one of the base quad core processors. I’ve always planned on upgrading to a 6 or even 8-core cpu. Just haven’t needed it. I did upgrade the video card to a Vega 64 a while back. I also added a PCIe SSD for Windows. And another two sata SSD’s for Linux and OSX.

Point being you can get a very solid machine for a very good price, if you’re willing to go used/refurbished. But if you need the best/fastest, get ready to pay a bit more.
I think any decent Ryzen setup will be just fine, I see no need for these maschines for audio production, unless your doing film or animation or a combination of all combined then I see a need for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(09-21-2019, 05:36 AM)Matt Wrote: I also added a PCIe SSD for Windows. And another two sata SSD’s for Linux and OSX.

Hi Matt are you running OS X on that workstation, asking for a friend :-)
(06-06-2019, 10:08 PM)doncolga Wrote: With all the news about the new Mac Pro, I ended up at this site for high-performance workstations via comments on some articles I read. I'm in no way affiliated with them and sure as hell can't afford one right now, LOL, but I thought it would be interesting to share, as workstations are part of what we do. I'm running great on my current rig, but some really interesting things to look at here, and their customer list...wow.

https://www.boxx.com/
Donny

I'm building a dual-Xeon with 128GB ECC RAM and RTX nVidia Quadro card and all whistles and bells this week. But this is all about CAD- and 3D modeling use. That's where you really profit from high end CPU and GPU power.
For audio there are different criteria, and if you have a reasonably modern PC with good realtime performance today you can use it a long time. You wouldn't see any improvement from the above specs.

MMM
(haha that doesn't mean that I don't give it a good go with Mixbus & Co before i deliver to the client Smile )
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
If you are looking to run Resolve16 this article gives good background on tech requirements.
https://www.richardlackey.com/davinci-re...uirements/
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I heard Alienware is good as well.