Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't figure out how to scrub
Trying to figure out how to scrub audio so I know exactly where I want to put edit points, markers, regions or whatever..

In the manual I see there is a little speaker icon next to the other editing tools, and I 'think' that's what I need to use to scrub with.. But that speaker is missing on my end.. Looking through the manual and the menus and I don't see where to make that little button visible...

Is this what I need to scrub audio, if so, how do I make that button appear in my editor window?

If it's not what I'm looking for to scrub audio, how do I do it instead?

Thanks,
Mark
(04-13-2019, 01:53 PM)MountainCraft Wrote: In the manual I see there is a little speaker icon next to the other editing tools, and I 'think' that's what I need to use to scrub with.. But that speaker is missing on my end.. Looking through the manual and the menus and I don't see where to make that little button visible...

This is the little speaker icon I'm talking about...

I notice that sometimes in the manual, they show that collection of edit tools with the icon, and sometimes without (like mine is), but I've gone through like almost 200 pages in the manual and don't see any reference to how to make it appear..

If I knew what it was called, I could search for it, but since it's not there, I can't hover over it to get a name/description popup...

Murphy's law says that after hours of trying to figure it out, when I do, that button won't be what I'm looking for, or worse yet, conventional scrubbing isn't even possible in mixbus.. Rolleyes

[Image: MixbusSpeakerIcon.jpg]

This is what the same area looks like on mine..

[Image: MixBusSpeakIcon-2.jpg]
It's called the "Audition Tool" and this is the only place in the manual it's mentioned...

It's where I first saw it this morning....

No mention of how to show/hide the tool in the editor window...

Why do I not have this tool available to me???

Yat Da Hey???

[Image: MixbusAuditionTool.jpg]
That toolbar item was removed when they added the "audition" function: click on anything you want to listen to (a region, a time selection, etc.) and type "a" to audition it. To scrub, you use the shuttle, which is under the transport controls -- drag the slider back and forth and you'll see! Right-click on it for options. If you set the mode to "wheel," you can use your mousewheel to scrub...turn it more to go faster, turn it the other way to slow down. A lot less fatiguing for your mouse arm if you're doing a lot of scrubbing. I imagine some of the control surfaces are mapped to use a jog wheel for scrubbing as well...I use the mousewheel (the Poor Person's Control Surface). ;-)

The manual is out of date in some places and needs an overall edit...if I have time I may go through it and send a marked-up version to Ben but they may already be working on a new manual for version 6 whenever that comes out.
(04-14-2019, 04:30 AM)bjohnh Wrote: That toolbar item was removed when they added the "audition" function: click on anything you want to listen to (a region, a time selection, etc.) and type "a" to audition it.

First of all, thank you for replying.. That explains why I couldn't find it.. Saw and learned about the audition tool (from the manual and YouTube videos), but although handy, that's kind of a clunky way to scrub..

(04-14-2019, 04:30 AM)bjohnh Wrote: To scrub, you use the shuttle, which is under the transport controls -- drag the slider back and forth and you'll see! Right-click on it for options.

Okay that works, but I'd still prefer to be able to grab the play head and drag it.. If I need to get more precise then just zoom in..

(04-14-2019, 04:30 AM)bjohnh Wrote: If you set the mode to "wheel," you can use your mousewheel to scrub...turn it more to go faster, turn it the other way to slow down. A lot less fatiguing for your mouse arm if you're doing a lot of scrubbing. I imagine some of the control surfaces are mapped to use a jog wheel for scrubbing as well...I use the mousewheel (the Poor Person's Control Surface). ;-)

I can see how that would be a lot better than dragging the little slider with a mouse pointer.. Unfortunately, I'm using a laptop for this right now and a mouse/trackball would be difficult (but maybe I can use a piece of wood in my lap to hold the laptop and trackball..) I plan to build a rack mount PC for this purpose in the next year, but I'm not there yet.. It's kinda clunky too, in that you have to zoom in on the time line, right click to change resolution of the shuttle, then use the tool.. So much easier to just grab the play head and drag. zooming in/out as needed...

(04-14-2019, 04:30 AM)bjohnh Wrote: The manual is out of date in some places and needs an overall edit...if I have time I may go through it and send a marked-up version to Ben but they may already be working on a new manual for version 6 whenever that comes out.

Yeah, would have saved me a lot of time if they mentioned this feature no longer exists (I wish it did still exist in 'addition'to the tools it was replaced with)..If you have an ear in the software design department of this company, ask them to consider putting that feature back in.. It would make life easier for us laptop users.. (I'd probably prefer to work with it even on a dedicated workstation)

I mean, you can always deselect it, or even put a switch in the menu to include/remove it from the editing tool list if they feel it is too cluttered or redundant or something with it in there.. Smile

Anyway, thanks.. Now on to the next thing I need to learn/resolve (best way to set up monitoring for my needs/system)..

Thanks,
Mark
(04-14-2019, 10:19 AM)MountainCraft Wrote: Okay that works, but I'd still prefer to be able to grab the play head and drag it.. If I need to get more precise then just zoom in..

I hear you; some of the other DAWs I use have this functionality and it's handy. It could of course be that there's some way to enable it in Mixbus and I just haven't found it yet.

(04-14-2019, 10:19 AM)MountainCraft Wrote: If you have an ear in the software design department of this company, ask them to consider putting that feature back in

Everyone has that ability: the developers pay attention to the Feature Requests thread http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum/forum-11.html, so you might want to submit a request there.

Good luck getting everything set up! I really love Mixbus and it's the perfect DAW for the music I do...there are a few features I miss having but I can use other tools for the times I need them.
(04-14-2019, 10:39 AM)bjohnh Wrote: I hear you; some of the other DAWs I use have this functionality and it's handy. It could of course be that there's some way to enable it in Mixbus and I just haven't found it yet.

Man, I certainly couldn't find anything, and I looked all day yesterday...

(04-14-2019, 10:39 AM)bjohnh Wrote: Everyone has that ability: the developers pay attention to the Feature Requests thread http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum/forum-11.html, so you might want to submit a request there.

Good to know.. Thanks for that.. (PS, link no good.. But worked when I removed the comma)

(04-14-2019, 10:39 AM)bjohnh Wrote: Good luck getting everything set up! I really love Mixbus and it's the perfect DAW for the music I do...there are a few features I miss having but I can use other tools for the times I need them.

So far, other than a bit of a struggle in the beginning getting it to see the Behringer drivers for my XR18 (eventually just fixed itself), this is the first thing I've come across that kinda bugs me.. All in all, this is a rock solid, well thought out program that operates the way I grew up.. like an analog mixer..

Of course, I haven't really pushed it very hard yet so I may find issue down the road, but thus far I'm seriously impressed... (in love even Tongue)
There was a recent discussion about scrubbing on the Ardour Forums (Mixbus is based on Ardour). Boils down to: It's not easy and would take a lot of work that is better invested in other features.

They suggest to get a hardware controller with a jog wheel. I guess that might feel almost like "real" scrubbing.
Usually doing live sound …
(04-14-2019, 01:35 PM)loderunner Wrote: There was a recent discussion about scrubbing on the Ardour Forums (Mixbus is based on Ardour). Boils down to: It's not easy and would take a lot of work that is better invested in other features.

They suggest to get a hardware controller with a jog wheel. I guess that might feel almost like "real" scrubbing.

That's kinda weird considering it was already there.. In my limited capacity bean, I'm thinking, ya just put the code that ya took out, back in...

But what do I know about what's under the hood on this stuff? (answer: almost nothing)
Interesting conversation/debate about this on the Ardour forum. One way to help a little is to change the way waveforms are displayed, which can help make waveforms easier to read once you get used to it -- in the preferences, go to Appearance, then Editor. Under Waveforms, change the scale to logarithmic and the waveform shape to Rectified. This is the waveform shape used in the edit window of most video editing apps, because it's a lot easier for editors to see where dialogue begins. It's perhaps slightly less useful for music, but the exaggerated waveforms (which are built by summing the positive and negative portions of a traditional waveform and presenting them as one positive waveform) can help with editing.