Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry recording Mixbus.
Anyone can give me accurate advice about how to make an absolutely dry recording of channels in order that there is no coloration from mixbus.
Just the raw sampled audio from each channel without mixbus coloration.

If this is not possible I guess that is why most people use mixbus as a final mix but not as the original capture.

If it can be done I would like to know how as it would simplify things.
You can route the channels directly to your outputs or simply turn down any compression or saturation.
I guess I have to write a script that directly captures all channels sent by jack to mixbus. Might be the easiest.
That way I can still use mixbus for a comfortable live mix, but record the dry signals. Best is probably to do it concurrently and outside mixbus as mixbus do not have a concurrent dry recording option to the channels..
(04-06-2019, 01:07 AM)zimbodel Wrote: If this is not possible I guess that is why most people use mixbus as a final mix but not as the original capture.

If it can be done I would like to know how as it would simplify things.

If you ask about tracking, there are no coloration from Mixbus, so what's going into mixbus is what being recorded. See the "Signal flow" in the manual. Mixbus is an "Inline" console, so you get an absolutely dry recording in Mixbus.

When you playback there are some coloration.Turn off EQ, compressor and Mixbus drive and this should give you as near as original as possible.

The reason why some people are using other DAWs to track, I guess, are that they are not so DSP demanding as Mixbus so you have more capacity available for just the recording and/or that they are used to other DAWs for tracking and editing.

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Thank you sthauge, if monitoring truly is unaltered, then it solves a part of the problem. I have to adapt my approach as it is different to what I am used to.