Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compressor for Snaredrum
Hi all,

Which compressor do you use for compressing the snare drum? Is the integrated channel compressor good for that? I know that for snare you need fast attack time but the channel compressor does not allow to adjust the attack time in compressing mode...
Which plugin do you recommend?

Which other plugins and techniques do you use for mixing the snare in mixbus?

Best regards
Daniel

Gesendet von meinem SM-A600FN mit Tapatalk
Snare: ModernLostAngel (32bit) used 80% of the songs, dbx160 Waves, Api2500 Waves, CLA 2A Waves,... and others depending on the recorded sound, genre and taste.
There are some goto plugs, true but, no magic plugin for anything, experiment which gives the sound you have in mind.
Vox: CLA 3A, Bass: Tube-Tech.CL.1B. Kick: dbx160
But EQ is as important, you need some with narrow Q, to get rid of the disturbing ring sound or for the high conflicting the vox or gtr etc. It is not something one can learn in a weekSmile
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(04-01-2019, 12:02 AM)Tassy Wrote: Snare: ModernLostAngel (32bit) used 80% of the songs, dbx160 Waves, Api2500 Waves, CLA 2A Waves,... and others depending on the recorded sound, genre and taste.
There are some goto plugs, true but, no magic plugin for anything, experiment which gives the sound you have in mind.
Vox: CLA 3A, Bass: Tube-Tech.CL.1B. Kick: dbx160
But EQ is as important, you need some with narrow Q, to get rid of the disturbing ring sound or for the high conflicting the vox or gtr etc. It is not something one can learn in a weekSmile
ModernLostAngel is an emulation of an la2a isn't it? Is the attack time if this compressor not too lazy for the fast attack of the snare? La2a I use for vocals and bass guitar

There are a lot "la2a", all are way different whether original or emulation. Snare does not always need fast attack on the other hand. For example, Lost angel and waves la2a are on different planetsSmile I never care about the manuals I care what I can do with devices, true to plugs as well. Transients are not to be killed all the time.
Angel does not lift the highs, though, T-Racks White from Izotope and most clones do.
Modern also have an La-2ME that reminds more the other emulations like Softube, or Waves. But not as good for snare
All regard my gear and other treatments, eq and all.... I apply.
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Ok,m i think i will try your suggested plugins. You also mentioned waves. Do the waves plugins work with mixbus? If yes, only with wine? And all plugins/versions or only a few ?

(04-02-2019, 05:44 AM)basementmedia Wrote: Ok,m i think i will try your suggested plugins. You also mentioned waves. Do the waves plugins work with mixbus? If yes, only with wine? And all plugins/versions or only a few ?

I have a lot waves plugs all work in MB, some are just 64 bit so not sure work in 32bit MB, F6, Abbey Road mastrering chain, Smack attack...
But you should not empty the waves store fast! There is a full week try period full functioning and they go crazy on sale so I have never bought a plug for more than 29 bucksSmile
(04-02-2019, 11:42 AM)Tassy Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 05:44 AM)basementmedia Wrote: Ok,m i think i will try your suggested plugins. You also mentioned waves. Do the waves plugins work with mixbus? If yes, only with wine? And all plugins/versions or only a few ?

I have a lot waves plugs all work in MB, some are just 64 bit so not sure work in 32bit MB, F6, Abbey Road mastrering chain, Smack attack...
But you should not empty the waves store fast! There is a full week try period full functioning and they go crazy on sale so I have never bought a plug for more than 29 bucksSmile

i forgot to say that i use mixbus with linux, not windows.
Do the Waves Plugins work anyway? Do you use Linux also?
If yes, how to install the plugins? Are they delivered as VST-File or is an installer for linux included?
They don't.

Quick tidbit on snare drum recording/mixing: fast attacks are terrible....BUT....a snare drum top particularly--the classic 57 on the top of the drum? It has to be clipped....a LOT. I use a tape sim, but years ago with hardware digital mixers, I'd use a Sansamp. The point is there's a solid 5-10db that need to be GONE before you consider whether you need a compressor or not. It's why snare drums to (early) digital suck. People have gotten wise--running hot old preamp to clip it....various analog kit on the front to "lose" as much of that as possible.

I've used the 32c channel compression on 4:1-5:1 to punch one up....and also the Leveler when I want meatier attack set to 40-50ms. But, understand--this was clipped previously. So it's pulling a handful of DB to punch up the attack....slower is better.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
(04-02-2019, 03:58 PM)JamieLang Wrote: They don't.

So Tassy uses windows version....i had already guessed.

(04-02-2019, 03:58 PM)JamieLang Wrote: It has to be clipped....a LOT. I use a tape sim,
Which one exactly do you use in MB? And how is the routing of the effect chain? EQ --> Fader --> TapeSim --> Compressor.
I dont use Harrison DSP for it. I use KramerMPX (old tube tape machine) these day. Windows and Mac.

But, in the panned back sense....its going to be clipped first (unless see below) The rest largely depends on the part....bleed....drum tuning/room....

If theres a nasty resonant frequency (say 700hz?) in the drum Ill try to notch that out before the tape clipping, because you can be more extreme in ripping nasty out and the tape will out it back together.

Is this an acoustic kit youve recorded that youre mixing?

The biggest issue I see when people record/mix drum kits is not understanding how holistic you have to be. There is no “snare track” that is the sound of the snare drum. All the phase (so time+polarity) of the other mics contribute more than anything you do to the 57.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com