Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help getting mixes to translate
(03-21-2019, 10:40 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: My masters are a bit low on the spectrum compared to my reference tracks, what are some ways others get theirs up to standards.

Haha so are mine. Listen more closely to individual components of your reference track. One great engineer advised me once to mix in layers, ie. make sure each instrument has its own space and doesn't clash and mask others. Listen to the balance and where instruments sit tonally.
Nobody starts off being Sylvia Massey or Mick Guzauski, it takes years to learn and develop techniques.
There is a tread from 2016 that gives some info on this topic. When playing a song on a kitchen speaker your ears use the harmonics to trick your ears to "hear" the lows that are not present. That means EQing out to much hi low end/low mids also reduce the harmonics and can make the sound thin and without lows on these type of speakers. Playing the same track on studio monitors or hifi systems sounds great because they are able to reproduce the lows. Using the xt Bass character plugin and add some more harmonics can make listening on a kitchen better.

Here's the tread:

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...=harmonics

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface