Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Stereo Pairs ?
Hi
First post, so go easy Big Grin

I've more or less finished a track in another DAW.
I printed the stems, and just bought Mixbus 30 minutes ago as I would like to have a dedicated mixer for doing final mixdowns, after doing all the composition, sequencing etc....in my other DAW.

So, my other DAW treats audio files as single files, but when I import them all into Mixbus, each single file has been assigned a left and a right file, and I have double the amount of files I had 5 minutes ago.

My question is why do the files have to be split ? My other DAW exported them as single files, and they appear as single files in windows explorer, but Mixbus opens them as pairs.

If I am already happy with the stereo balance, and only want to work with volume and dynamic changes, is there no way to import my stems as single files ??
I just don't want to have to scroll up and down the screen all the time as it is now twice the height it would be if they had just been single files.

Hope that makes sense to somebody.
Thanks in advance.
(02-13-2019, 09:29 AM)Roswell Diner Wrote: Hope that makes sense to somebody.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mixbus Smile

It's in the import dialogue: choose "one track per file" instead of "one track per channel" and Bob's your uncle Smile

MMM
(02-13-2019, 09:43 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 09:29 AM)Roswell Diner Wrote: Hope that makes sense to somebody.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mixbus Smile

It's in the import dialogue: choose "one track per file" instead of "one track per channel" and Bob's your uncle Smile

MMM

awesome. I really hoped there was some way of changing it, so thank you =)
Yep I hit that too on first use.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
They still split them, under the hood. Because in an analog mixer there's no such thing as a stereo channel. I mean--there were SOME--aux or two track returns and such--but, in terms of recording, up until SOFTWARE recording (not digital, but SOFTWARE) there was no such thing as a stereo track/channel. Digital mixers just gave ways to link the controls (or just faders) of two mono channels. Analog "stereo compressors" just linked the two sides in various ways....

My guess is that interleaved files mess with the "vintage inspired" summing algorithm, but that's a guess, based on the fact that a Harrison mixer would never have had a "stereo channel" for overheads(as example).

I do remember there being some hub-ub in the day about how to handle these "new" "stereo tracks"....anyone remember what version Avid even ALLOWED them?

so, you know--if you want to get all into ACTUAL "analog mixer workflow"--you ditch your stereo track channels all together. FWIW--I don't. Because back then--I HAD stereo linked compressors....and faders next to each other with two fingers....and--point is, it was set up to deal with that, and DAWs make the ASSumption that stereo sources will be record to their invention of the "stereo track".
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
yeah I completely understand Jamie, and under normal circumstances, having independent control over a left and right channel makes perfect sense for those who are using mixbus to record
from line-ins, but I do everything in the box ( even though I have 2 guitars which sit here mocking me because I can't play a note on either of them )
I've all the donkey-work done, and just wanted some of that mixbus mojo on my final mixdown stems.
Been reading the manual all day and got the gist of the basics now. All good once I sorted out that import hiccup =)
that's debatable....whether having independent control is best....I am finding my role is largely to explain the historical WHYs for things lately. Ha.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
After creating a new project, I place the files \ interchange \ Name \ audiofiles and then import into the project by canceling the copy function and then the stereo files remain without splitting into two mono