Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do I Do This? (monitoring)
I am direct monitoring off of my interface. With my old laptop that's the best way. When I record a vocal track, I turn down the volume on all the other tracks. Is there a way to do this so I can go back and forth from reduced volume and normal volume of these tracks? I tried using snapshots but was running into problems and its slow.
This could be simple: Assing the tracks to one VCA then you get one fader( VCA fader) to controll them all.

Mixbus32c 5.0.208 on Kubuntu Linux 64 18.04 with KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz - 12 Gb RAM

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Actually, it's the second best way on a brand NEW computer...next to an analog cue. There's no amount faster that gets the bussing of a computer faster. Anyhoo…

Alt 1) use your hardware mixer. You say you're using it to monitor the input vocal, you understand you're ALSO using it to monitor the playback, right? Like...Computer 1+2 or something by default (whatever output Mixbus says it's using) will have a fader...

Alt 2) enable the monitoring section of mixbus and turn down the monitor level there. It won't affect the vocal input mixer--only the playback levels.

Also a factor--what's your mix level look like? I would think if you have to turn down, you might be recording too hot. Virtual instrument makers are the WORST about making everything full scale--which you shouldn't be NEAR...so, if you use, say virtual drums, you need to pad it 10-14db before you even start playing loops. Otherwise, you're going to end up with faders buried and can't hear yourself to record...AND compromised sound.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
Many thanks