Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo Bus for Piano (2 mono track to 1 stereo Bus)
Hello

I try to record acoustic Piano in stereo with Mixbus.
Here is what i did :

- Create two MONO tracks: Piano Left and Piano Right
- don't assign them to MASTER
- create one EXTERNAL SEND for each.
in send options, external send for Piano Left pan to left and external send for Piano Right pan to right .

- Create one Stereo bus: Piano Bus
- create one insert (pre-fader) on the bus

- Assign sends to insert

It works
but, is this the way it should be done? is there something easier ?

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You just need to send the tracks to one of the mix buses. no need to create a bus for those.
Itsik Friedman
Storm Productions
http://www.stormproductions.co.il
(11-25-2018, 06:41 PM)Oscalypso Wrote: It works
but, is this the way it should be done? is there something easier ?
In MB you have 8 and 32C 12 Mix Busses to use.
They are fully delay compensated and have: tape saturation, tone and dynamics control.
Most people just use the built in Mix busses.
For more complex mixes you might want to create extra sub busses, but these may add additional latency.
I normally only use an additional sub group for reverb, where delay comp may not matter.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Thank you guys for your replies!
So the good way is:
- Piano Left and Piano Right sended to Mixbus 1
- Mixbus 1 sended to Mixbus 2 (reverb)
Alright?
Yes, but I note that a mixbus reverb or any FX on mixbuses will be parallel signal flow to the tracks. If you want the reverb to follow your panning you must insert it in the track. Other question . Why bother with reverb when recording? I prefer dry tracks to mix.. For recording great to use the built in lavelling and gain ( no external gear noise)
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(11-26-2018, 10:11 AM)Tassy Wrote: If you want the reverb to follow your panning you must insert it in the track.

That is not true. The 12 mixbus sends in 32c follow pan. However, and this is a sticking point for me--MOST plug in reverbs don't actually have an input to their algorithm that works like that, which is why you might hear it differently.

I could get geeky about reverb, but I don't want to confuse the OP.

If this is a solo piano recording, yes--I would just use one Mixbus for piano and one for reverb, like the OP echo'd back in his previous post.
Hi jamie, I would not say not true.
If anything is on a bus it is parallel to the track signal that is sent there, that means that the original + the bus is routed to the master. If the bus with the reverb is panned, then only the parallel signal (the reverb) is panned and the original is also there if the track is sent to the master.
The other thing that makes a diference is that a mono can be really panned, a stereo can only be balanced.
Sure the bus follows the track panning as expected.
But if a track is hard L and sent to a bus with reverb you can pan/balace the bus reverb on the L then it follows, you can leave the bus center then the reverb is "wider". But you can send the bus reverb to the hard R so the signal sounds from the L and its reverb from the R. It is a great trick in cases for the guitars.

If a reverb or any is on a mono track it goes together with the track panning, follows it, wherever you balance the bus. If it is on the bus it depends what you do: minimum three extreme cases as shown above. So in this case your "12 mixbus sends in 32c follow pan" is just half the truth regarding the possible resulsSmile
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
I don't know if we're having a language barrier issue, but the mixbus's follow channel pan 100%. Having a reverb that DOESN'T on a mixbus, thus wanting to pan the return is a "feature" of the reverb algorithm and it's input matrix--not Mixbus.

Remove the reverb insert from the mixbus--it follows panning now, right? Right. That your REVERB output is not following track panning is 100% the design of the reverb plug in algorithm, not the bussing system not following pan.