Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utility Busses Q again, but a bit differently this time...
Thanks, I have not tried it with normal tracks
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
I assumed the purpose of the utility bus was exactly what I used it for--convenience subs...with the downside that I can't use say Kramer MPX on the snare sub, because--no compensation. But, if I can't solo the UB...it's the opposite of convenient.
BTW, with patching (using the connection window), if I recall correctly, soloing works as expected. I can check it for you when I get to the studio next week...
Itsik Friedman
Storm Productions
http://www.stormproductions.co.il
Will that sum? I guess it has to if you specify multiple input sources....ill give that a shot today, as Im working on a track that they did the typical “royer+dynamic” on all the guitars.

This is a place where Logic’s got a really uniquely cool UI...you can select those two tracks and select a “summing folder”—it creats the equivalent of a utility bus, routes them AND in the areange window folds them under it where you can expand and access the originals....it helps keep everything clean and organized.
Yep, same thing in StudioOne ... please let me know how it works once you've tried it ...
Itsik Friedman
Storm Productions
I've tried it ... doesn't work ...
Itsik Friedman
Storm Productions
Wait...I was going to report back that both ways seem to solo correctly now...I even did a doozy where I multed the mono kick via a send to a UB to make an attack channel...then rolled the kick, Attack UB, and subkick mic into a "routed by patching" second UB that was then all three kick channels (then routed exclusively to MB1 I use for drums). Solo anything, it all works as expected. Now I'm wondering why when I tried that before it didn't work at all.

What's not working for you?
Basically, I tried patching say 2 mono guitar tracks to a stereo UB to find the panning is not working. Then, as per the suggestions n this thread I tried using sends instead of patching but the panning on the tracks does nothing as well. The idea was to have on track 100% L and the other 30% R (for instance, that does not work. Soloing with the patching method works but not with the sends method ...
Itsik Friedman
Storm Productions
Panning (into the bus) doesn't work. I just tried for you. I've not had a need for a stereo UB.

The soloing part works if you hook them up via patching. Which was what kept me from using them. Mine are nearly always going to be mono--two mics on an amp...DI and amp for bass...kick in and out and sample...wanting to sum a few tracks into a single entity.

This feels like a "feature" that was put in with some other intended use.
(11-19-2018, 10:34 AM)Subzero Wrote: Basically, I tried patching say 2 mono guitar tracks to a stereo UB to find the panning is not working. Then, as per the suggestions n this thread I tried using sends instead of patching but the panning on the tracks does nothing as well. The idea was to have on track 100% L and the other 30% R (for instance, that does not work. Soloing with the patching method works but not with the sends method ...
External Audio Sends do not follow the main channel pan, they have independent panning controls. In future releases I would hope to see a 'follow main pan' option.

So this is the way I would do what you want:

Create a new track: add 1 new Stereo Audio Buss - call it Buss 1.
On the two channels that have your two mono guitars, right click - New External Send.
This will bring up a patching box, patch the send outs (L+R) to Buss 1 in.
On the Mixer page, double click (or right mouse - Edit with Generic Controls) on either of the green sends .
This will open up the Send dial box, here you can re-patch, set a pan position and control levels.

I use this approach for reverb, so my instruments can be in a different pan position to the reverb.

To solo, create a solo only group of guitars and solo safe (RH mouse) Buss 1. Make sure that SIP on Monitor section is set to off.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5