Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drum sample augmentation
How is anyone doing this in Mixbus? I assume via some plug in like Trigger? I've just always had the ability to natively do it with Cubase and Logic...I've been making a big effort to use 32c for everything, but I see no way to do this natively.
I do not need that technology in Mixbus (anymore) I use the Harrison Character plugins and i can tailor drum recordings completely.

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
How does THAT get you a nice big room mic from a recording done in someone's suburban bonus room?
(11-03-2018, 01:23 PM)JamieLang Wrote: How does THAT get you a nice big room mic from a recording done in someone's suburban bonus room?

Fairly simple

If possible know how the original drums sounds like : as a guidance.

Avoid using any mikes which give room information of the small room recorded in.

with character module tune the overtones to the original sound.

Use early reflections to simulate a bigger room: or to enlarge individual kit parts

Pitch shift helps to create huge kits.

First trials can take some time, once you get the hang of it

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
I haven't used a reverb on a drum kit (other than a ballad side stick for effect) in 10 years. I can't imagine going back to that.

I mean, sometimes the overheads are a little tight, and I'll send them to the "room" reverb a little...but, I mean drum sculpting reverb.
Not natively, but I've used Slate Trigger a few times.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
(11-04-2018, 08:41 PM)JamieLang Wrote: I haven't used a reverb on a drum kit (other than a ballad side stick for effect) in 10 years. I can't imagine going back to that.

I mean, sometimes the overheads are a little tight, and I'll send them to the "room" reverb a little...but, I mean drum sculpting reverb.

If you do not try , you will never know:
You use reverb : via your overheads.

I never used , or use overheads, neither do i have to revert to fake drums ( = samples) .
when i need to put a kit in a space, i use a space which one can control, which one cannot if one uses the space where the recording took place.

Never hurts to experiment, to try something new of different.

regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

So, does trigger work with other sample libraries? I know you can make your own...see this video....for years I've tried to explain what/why I do this--how I'm not actually replacing drum mics I'm given, but instead I'm simply using samples as, "a better reverb". Last year YouTube came to my attention--while I know no one involved, sometimes showing IS worth a thousand words:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OmgMNdJ6jys

He's made his custom library into Trigger. I just use commercial libraries' room mics....Addictive has Sound City's...NI has Abbey Road's big main room...BFD2 has Air Studios big room...then I tend to add a kick out mic if there wasn't one tracked, which again--in home studios people rarely do.
Room ambiance and various foley sounds can certainly add to percussion. There's also MDrumEnhancer which has a fair amount of creative use, although not tagged as "Abbey Road" sound, or "BFD" or "Bozzio" or who ever. On the plus side Vojtech, founder and designer of Melda Production plugins, is a drummer.

MDrumEnhancer preserves the dynamics. Can also be used with custom samples. The way it works is that it applies characteristics of the sample to the drum sound. It does NOT replace the original drum. A bit like convolution reverb, but with specific features for drum usage.

It's all in the dosage, how it is made to fit.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGl-0Iy3l_E

(11-05-2018, 12:00 PM)Frank Wrote: Never hurts to experiment, to try something new of different.

But as stated not fake drums eg. samples. Isn't there a contradiction in the principle ?
(Slate Digital's) Trigger's on sale for $49 this weekend...I'm not interested in slate's samples, though...has anyone tried using the MIDI out in Mixbus? I see something in it's UI that says "drag onto track"--that seems like an incompatibility waiting to happen...