Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MixBus Newbie-Self Taught Mixer Seeking Constructive Criticism
I am a novice with only limited live mixing experience & I've started mixing our weekly recordings of our church band for them to use with rehearsals with MixBus 5 on AVLinux. I've included the link to one of the tracks I mixed along with notes regarding our setup. What basic things could I be doing to improve my mix?
Thank you

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vwno_H...9v_RUSDhk7
Hey,

Listening now...

Here's what I'd adjust first:

1. Cut back a lot on the effects and change the echo to a room. I'd have a small room on the drums with just a small amount on the kick.
2. Cut way back on the vocal effects. Also, the vocal needs clip gain adjustments to level it out and make it more even, then consider applying some compression after that.
3. Ditto for the backup vocal.
4. Some automation on the right guitar would be handy to bring it in and out in relation to the vocal.
5. I like using lots of limiters gently...like maybe 3-4 dB gain reduction on occasional peaks...just for some transient control. That goes a long way.
6. Search youtube for Harrison Consoles parallel compression and do that. That's an awesome technique you can use on any DAW.

Choose some commercial mixes you really like and reference to them as you're mixing your own stuff. Just be sure to turn the commercial mixes down to the level of your mix, and not the other way around.

I'd say good effort for a beginner and definitely stick with it.

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep on it!