Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Region Effects?
Hello, I am a brand spanking new member forum and have a pretty basic question. I am used to using Reaper, and have found that adding effects to a specific region of one track has been helpful. Can I accomplish this in Mixbus as well, or do I need to split that region from the track, drag it to a new track, and send that track to a new buss with that effect?

Example: Say I want to add a bit of chorus to a short vocal section, but only that vocal section. Can I split that vocal region and add the chorus directly to that region so it goes through the same (other) effects or other busses as the entire track, or do I have to place it in a new track and send it to another chorus buss, then through the others as well?

Thanks for the help ahead of time, and I'm excited to start using Mixbus! I love the concept and just having an analog workflow is a benefit that sets it apart from something like Reaper.
(10-12-2018, 08:26 AM)mortalsphere Wrote: I love the concept and just having an analog workflow is a benefit that sets it apart from something like Reaper.

This actually answers the question.
However, you could use automation to switch the effect on and off.

But the "analogue" solution is having common processing in a mixbus and pulling out the parts with extra treatment, apply the treatment directly to the track and send it to the common mixbus for further processing.

MMM
Great, thanks for the quick reply! That makes complete sense and will be easy to accomplish.
It's also easy to mult parts of a track to apply a distinct processing. I do that from time to time when I find that I have many plugin parameters to tweak at the same time for a specific section. Makes it easier than creating many automation tracks.

Also, the sends can be automated so that groups of audio processing can be blended.

The creative possibilities are great. I only wish I had a hardware fader to program the automation but the one I have, a Faderport, is limited to only do the volume and nothing else.
(10-12-2018, 11:05 AM)jonetsu Wrote: It's also easy to mult parts of a track to apply a distinct processing. I do that from time to time when I find that I have many plugin parameters to tweak at the same time for a specific section. Makes it easier than creating many automation tracks.

Also, the sends can be automated so that groups of audio processing can be blended.

The creative possibilities are great. I only wish I had a hardware fader to program the automation but the one I have, a Faderport, is limited to only do the volume and nothing else.

Ah, interesting. I've never thought about automating sends! Thanks for that one!
(10-12-2018, 11:05 AM)jonetsu Wrote: The creative possibilities are great. I only wish I had a hardware fader to program the automation but the one I have, a Faderport, is limited to only do the volume and nothing else.

Maybe you can add a cheap generic midi device such as a Korg nanoKey and do it via "learn" capability. Or maybe your midi keyboard has faders you could use for this?
I have an old BCF2000 here which I sometimes train for either mixbuses or VCAs when I want them in permanent access no matter where the MCU sits. Also a good thing when the client wants to give it his heavenly final touch: Create VCAs for drums, keys, guitar etc, make a new snapshot, put the faders on the VCAs and let them mix away - no damage done Smile

MMM
(10-13-2018, 08:20 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Maybe you can add a cheap generic midi device such as a Korg nanoKey and do it via "learn" capability. Or maybe your midi keyboard has faders you could use for this?

Yes, but a mixing fader has a character on its own. A generic slider - or worse a pot - on a MIDI keyboard is really not like it.

I also hate to throw away hardware specially when it seems here that there's a total reluctance to make the Faderport fader operate with automation and there's no way for the user to change that. Get the source code and do it yourself : no way. That's not a good reason to throw away hardware and spend money on something that probably works like the new X-Touch One for which it very much looks like every conceivable Mixbus parameter can be assigned to any of its controls, by the user.

As I mentioned before, a the Mixbus GUI slider can work with any control. Click on it, slid eit with the mouse. It does not need to know what's the plugin parameter it activates. It just sends values that Mixbus in return sends to the plugin parameter. The exact same should apply with the Faderport fader: it sends values and in turn Mixbus sends it to any plugin parameter for automation purposes. Not rocket science for people who know the Mixbus source code. Yes, it's a bit frustrating.

Even the functionality of the User key was removed in v5. I hope it will be back in 5.1. Whenever 5.1 is released. I certainly did not get any email about it yet, as a paying customer. I do get the "what's in the box" emails though.

And now with the new Faderport 2, the hope of getting such a simple thing can be "fading" away (to try a pun).

It's one of those things Dodgy
Notwithstanding my previous rambling on the Faderport and back onto using automation and sending to FX buses, one free plugin in those matters that could be mentioned is MRatio which allows the blending of two sources following a certain curve. For instance blending a synth arp between reverb and tape delay. And that blending can be automated in Mixbus.

Eg.: