Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVA LegacyQ not loading - Mixbus5 on linux - missing gnutls ( SOLVED )
greetings!

just installed the AVA bundle (using the installer in the tar archive), and my license file for the LegacyQ is in my home directory.

i don't see the AVA plugins in the plugin list.

they are installed in a directory which is in the Mixbus vst search path, and i have plugins from another company in that same directory which DO show up in the plugin list. i've re-started Mixbus, re-scanned from within Mixbus -- all to no effect.

any clues??

many thanks in advance... cheers!
.pltk.

...just noticed permissions are different for the Harrison plugins. here's my directory listing:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1.4M Dec 13 2017 AF210M.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7.4M Sep 9 12:06 AVA-DS.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6.5M Sep 9 12:06 AVA-LegacyQ.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7.4M Sep 9 12:06 AVA-ME.so
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 4.8M Mar 28 2017 FC70.so
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 3.2M Mar 28 2017 PTC-2A.so
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 3.0M Mar 28 2017 PTM-5A.so

...i tried changing permissions of the LegacyQ file to match the ones that do work -- doesn't help.
i'll reply to myself and leave this here in case it's useful to anyone else...

nik from Harrison was very helpful in an email exchange... he asked me to do a shared object dependency list for the AVA plugin:
ldd /usr/local/lib/lxvst/AVA-LegacyQ.so

the output contained this line:
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 => not found

...although curl was installed on my system, libcurl-gnutils was not. after installing that package i cleared the VST cache and blacklist in Mixbus and re-scanned for plugins. now i see the AVA plugins in the plugin list.

cheers!
.pltk.
Thanks for posting this. I just had the same problem with MB5 and legacyQ on Arch Linux, and installing libcurl-gnutls fixed it right up.

The symptom was that every time I did a rescan, the error log would show that the 3 AVA plugins were blacklisted, even after clearing the blacklist and rescanning.

Thanks again!

Joe
hey joe... glad it was helpful!

my symptoms were exactly the same as yours. interestingly, i'm on manajro (an arch variant).

cheers!
.pltk.
So aparently, libcurl-gnutls is a package only used on Debian and Ubuntu derivatives which makes this a common problem on all the other distros (also found some references of similar issues for gitkraken some games and spotify).

I am yet to fix it on my system (Fedora) but is it something that maybe should be raised as a bug? To my (albeit limited) understanding there is a way of using a security protocol that will be common on all distributions. It is a shame that installation of a plugin can be complicated by a web encryption library

Btw if anyone knows my issue is now VST '/usr/lib/lxvst/AVA-LegacyQ.so': [ERROR]: Could not open existing LXVST plugin: /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.34' not found (required by /lib64/libcurl-gnutls.so.4)
i suppose it's always a risk in the linux ecology that some distribution may not have X or Y dependency of some plugin, right? i've suggested in emails to harrison that the plugin installation script should throw a warning to the user, if it meets a missing dependency -- rather than just quietly completing the installation as if everything is functional.

for me, personally, that would suffice. ymmv.
Looks like I have a version issue, the OS libcurl works with NSS 3.34 but mixbus uses 3.31 so if I replace the library with newer one, mixbus won't start; if I have the older one, plugin isn't working.

Maybe someone has a "correct" version of libcurl-gnutls.so.4 so that I can just shove it in the lib/ folder and trick the plugin? Smile

I do agree that it is not trivial to make every application running on every distribution; but Ardour/Mixbus have had a stellar track record, I don't believe I ever encountered a system where it would not "just work" which is why it is especially sad that it is not the sound processing that prevents this plugin to be used but a very trivial dependency mismatch
yes... for me as well, this is the first time (through all the versions of Mixbus and plugins, and on many different linux distributions) that the Harrison software has Just Worked. i've been amazed at that track record.

...perhaps there's some deeper wisdom from the devs about how to more universally solve this kind of issue...
Found the solution, see below for anyone on Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora systems especially (but I suspect it will work on any other systems as well):

Find the library that is included in Mixbus, in my case it was in /opt/Mixbus-{version}/lib, the library is libcurl.so.4

Create a symlink to that library in the libs folder, in my case (64 bit system) /usr/lib64 the complete command is
Code:
ln -s /opt/Mixbus-{version}/lib/libcurl.so.4 /usr/lib64/libcurl-gnutls.so.4

Clear blacklist, scan for plugins and voila - you can now add it.

Note that you are creating a library that the repository management system has no knowledge of so it will remain there, won't get updated etc.
(09-19-2018, 02:36 PM)tsiguel Wrote: Found the solution, see below for anyone on Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora systems especially (but I suspect it will work on any other systems as well):

Find the library that is included in Mixbus, in my case it was in /opt/Mixbus-{version}/lib, the library is libcurl.so.4

Create a symlink to that library in the libs folder, in my case (64 bit system) /usr/lib64 the complete command is
Code:

Note that you are creating a library that the repository management system has no knowledge of so it will remain there, won't get updated etc.

Same problem here. Installing libcurl-gnutls did not work. Created symlink per above (Uninstalled libcurl-gnutls 1st otherwise file already exists).
Cleared blacklist, rescanned. Still does not work.
Running Archlinux. Any ideas?

(09-24-2018, 06:04 PM)tweed Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 02:36 PM)tsiguel Wrote: Found the solution, see below for anyone on Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora systems especially (but I suspect it will work on any other systems as well):

Code:

Same problem here. Installing libcurl-gnutls did not work. Created symlink per above (Uninstalled libcurl-gnutls 1st otherwise file already exists).

Ok, I deleted symlink, reinstalled libcurl-gnutls then ran:
ldd /usr/lib/vst/AVA-LegacyQ.so
and I get
but..
stat libcurl-gnutls.so.4
File: libcurl-gnutls.so.4 -> libcurl-gnutls.so.4.5.0
Size: 23 Blocks: 0 IO Block: 4096 symbolic link
Device: 808h/2056d Inode: 33775 Links: 1
The file IS there in /usr/lib.
Anybody know whats going on?

Code:

Code:

Ok, I deleted symlink, reinstalled libcurl-gnutls then ran:
ldd /usr/lib/vst/AVA-LegacyQ.so
and I get
but..
stat libcurl-gnutls.so.4
File: libcurl-gnutls.so.4 -> libcurl-gnutls.so.4.5.0
Size: 23 Blocks: 0 IO Block: 4096 symbolic link
Device: 808h/2056d Inode: 33775 Links: 1
The file IS there in /usr/lib.
Anybody know whats going on?

Ok, my MB log error is:
[ERROR]: VST '/usr/lib/vst/AVA-ME.so': [ERROR]: Could not open existing LXVST plugin: /usr/lib/vst/AVA-ME.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
[WARNING]: Cannot get LinuxVST information from '/usr/lib/vst/AVA-ME.so': load failed.
VST '/usr/lib/vst/AVA-LegacyQ.so': [ERROR]: Could not open existing LXVST plugin: /usr/lib/vst/AVA-LegacyQ.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
[WARNING]: Cannot get LinuxVST information from '/usr/lib/vst/AVA-LegacyQ.so': load failed.
Anyone know what this means?
Thanks!