Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's on your Mix Bus
I always like to hear what people are running on their final Mix Bus.

I'll start: Waves CLA Mixbus followed by an L2

I'm also interested in hearing what people are doing with Stock Harrison MixBus plugs on the final mix bus.

Gotta say, trying to move away from 3rd party plugs on focus on just the tools provided by Harrison.
On my master buss lately has been izotope’s neutron. I let it set itself for the warm open setting. Lately I’ve been using the default limiter.

As far as using the built in only plugs. Having x42’s eq really helps. It’s the one thing I miss the most. A surgical eq with an fft display. I’ve also been using Metric halo’s plugs some lately. Especially their reverb. It’s not overwhelming and obvious like I find many reverbs to be.
prefader: Ggain- Loudmax-XT Multiband-Izotope Ozone (eq-multiband on low and hi- maximizer- intersample protect)- mono button. postfader: VUMT, TT Dynamic range meter
Master strip built in guys are default, MB limiter OFF
I have a video in my article on it since I am mixing through my mastering plugs

https://mixcoach.com/mastering-separatel...on-the-go/
Isotope Ozone, Izotope Tonal Balance, Reference, in that order. I’m about to add Oxford Inflator. I think v5 is picking it up. Last time I checked, V4 wasn’t seeing that one. One of my big goals is to us as little final limiting as possible and still get the volume I want.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
I put nothing on the master bus when exporting for mastering. Just keep an eye on a -18dB level.

In order: At the mastering stage I use XT-ME to frame the mix a bit more. I switch off Mixbus's tape saturation and use Satin with a preset of choice. Then it runs into Voxengo Elephant to reach a suitable level within K14. There's usually after that a meter such as the Melda meter, or x-42. Even though Elephant has a meter, not to mention Mixbus's meters, a dedicated meter offers more details.

I am currently toying with stereo enhancers of various kinds to widen a mix. Not sure yet about these.
(08-21-2018, 11:43 AM)jonetsu Wrote: I am currently toying with stereo enhancers of various kinds to widen a mix. Not sure yet about these.

One nice little thing is to put a M/S decoder and raise the Side volume just a bit.
I do like CLA Mixdown in my other DAW (it is noticeable in a very good way and cannot really wreck things as some things can). I always err on the side of caution when it comes to doubling up on processing. Do you find coupling CLA Mixdown gives an extra lift from what Mixbus normally does, or do you just do this for the 'self-mastering' stage? And same for Ozone...I always used that, so with Mixbus do you use that versus the stuff in Mixbus? I used to finish the mix then use things like Ozone afterwards on the stereo track, but nowadays I lean more toward having some of that 'mastering stuff' on the bus so that if it ever clashes with one of the tracks I can easily adjust that track as I go along.

That said though, I bought Mixbus so that I didn't have to use as much processing and use the 'sound' that it has. I had been using Studio One (also own Logic but like S1 better) and do all my creation and arranging in S1. MB32C is just for mixing.

I'm getting back into using Mixbus (upgraded to 32C v5) so curious how you roll these days with it.
when mixing only .. only the XT lookahead compressor. ... with a very gentle 1-2 db of reduction.. I drop Buss levels if I'm getting too hot.
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com