Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bus techniques
Hey,

First of all, let's get this out of the way, my apologies for posting about a topic that has been covered before, but despite a lot of searching and reading, I still don't quite feel like I've got to where I want to be. I'd really appreciate any pointers.

I've recently discovered MixBus, and I'm absolutely loving it. There's just one thing I can't quite get my head around.

I have a track that is a fairly standard rock arrangement - drums guitars, bass, vox, and backing vocals. I would like to do what I would normally do, and pass the drum mix and the backing vocal mix to their own groups. If I send these to their own mixbusses, everything works great, the mix bus channels sound lovely. Problem is, I want to be able to send these groups to the same master reverb that is being used by all the other tracks, also on a mixbus. This appears to be impossible.

So, it would appear there's two options.

First, set up the reverb (and I also use a delay in a similar way) as a aux channel rather than a mixbus, and then I can send both normal tracks and the mixbusses to it. Seems okay, but I get the feedback loop warning thingy, and also it just doesn't 'feel' quite right somehow.

Secondly I could set up the drum and backing-vocal groups as aux groups, and then set up reverbs and delays on the mixbusses, and send everything to them that way. Again, seems okay, but then I lose the whole point of the sound and convenience of the mixbusses on things like drums (with the tape saturation and 'that' sound).

I really don't want to go down the route of inserting inline reverb effects on things like drums and backing vocals just so they can live in a mixbus.

Equally, I'm aware that there's a stock answer floating about which goes something like "you gotta think like an analogue console not like a DAW" .. which I do genuinely understand and appreciate, but if this is the case, how would a big studio on a big Harrison desk go about this on a big record?

Sorry for long post, and sorry for covering old ground. Mixbus is superb, but you know when you get that slight feeling that you're missing just one silly bit of information .....?
Put the reverb on the master? Unless I missed your point?
I simply have the last mixbusses (10-12) with the global effects.
Then I route each track to a mixbus and to the effects.
I have never done that, but I think you can create a send in the PlugIn area of your Mixbus and route it to your Reverb Mixbus.

I'm not at my computer right now to check that, but I think it should work.

Gesendet von meinem F8331 mit Tapatalk

(08-18-2018, 03:45 AM)GiRa Wrote: I simply have the last mixbusses (10-12) with the global effects.
That's the way I do that usually too.

°°°
Mac Mini M1 --> RME Multiface II
MacBook Air M1
Thinkpad T430 16gb --> Ubuntustudio 64bit --> Multiface II / SoundDevices USBpre2
I think there are two possible options
   1 to create a bus and assign the group's instruments to it, you can add a general message on it. this bus is sent to the mixbus bus.

2 create a bus with reverb and make a promise to the bus

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-18-2018, 04:29 AM)knutzn Wrote: I have never done that, but I think you can create a send in the PlugIn area of your Mixbus and route it to your Reverb Mixbus.

(08-18-2018, 03:45 AM)GiRa Wrote: I simply have the last mixbusses (10-12) with the global effects.

That's great, but (unless I've missed something) doesn't address the fact that if (say) tracks 1-8 are sent to my first stereo mixbus, how do I then send that drum sub-mix as whole to the reverb mixbus?
(08-18-2018, 04:42 AM)Yriisem Wrote: I think there are two possible options
   1 to create a bus and assign the group's instruments to it, you can add a general message on it. this bus is sent to the mixbus bus.

2 create a bus with reverb and make a promise to the bus

Hey, yes, number 2 is what I'm currently doing, and although I get the red warning for feedback, it does sort of work. However, your number 1 is better, this could be the solution that works for me. Still seems a little odd having one more bus than necessary, but if it works, then great. Thanks very much for doing the screenshots!
(08-18-2018, 04:29 AM)knutzn Wrote: I have never done that, but I think you can create a send in the PlugIn area of your Mixbus and route it to your Reverb Mixbus.

I have checked that and you can't send directly from one to an other Mixbus.
But you can create an Auxbus, send the signal to it and from there you can send it to your reverb Mixbus.

°°°
Mac Mini M1 --> RME Multiface II
MacBook Air M1
Thinkpad T430 16gb --> Ubuntustudio 64bit --> Multiface II / SoundDevices USBpre2
(08-18-2018, 04:43 AM)slickdaze Wrote:

That's great, but (unless I've missed something) doesn't address the fact that if (say) tracks 1-8 are sent to my first stereo mixbus, how do I then send that drum sub-mix as whole to the reverb mixbus?

You will have to deal with each track separately, but it's nearly no work for me. I find it extremely easy and flexible.
Hey,

Put your reverb as an insert on a mixbus and send the drum channels and vocals to it. You won’t need a send from the drum and vocal busses.

Another tip related to this is to put those tracks into a group, say the drum tracks, then click the send you want from any channel in that group and it will assign them all in one click. CTRL+ click on send will remove a send from the master and send it to the buss of your choice only.

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA