Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Template management
Noting the recent flurry of posts about templates, their locations across the various platforms, how to edit or delete etc,
I would suggest that there might need to be some further thought and development to create a more feature filled template manager.
So I would assume the need for a complete list, the ability to save, rename or delete templates, or to copy so they can be modified.
A comments column and date create / version created in.
A few thoughts for starters...
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(07-02-2018, 08:49 PM)Dingo Wrote: Noting the recent flurry of posts about templates, their locations across the various platforms, how to edit or delete etc,
I would suggest that there might need to be some further thought and development to create a more feature filled template manager.
So I would assume the need for a complete list, the ability to save, rename or delete templates, or to copy so they can be modified.
A comments column and date create / version created in.
A few thoughts for starters...

Absolutely. It should be brought up at session open with a button in the "New Session" dialogue and on "Save as template".

MMM
Saving/managing templates needs to be a feature.

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-6219.html
I would like to have the possibility of saving templates in a category folder. And when one adds new tracks and then chooses the folder from the template frame, then one can have the choice that several new tracks (type of track does not matter) will be inserted based upon the templates within that category or just pick a template from inside that folder.

Some examples of templates within a folder can be:
  • A MIDI track with Superior Drummer 2 where the outputs are in multi-track mode instead of stereo and where the pin connections are done accordingly with one audio out for each drum item. That is usually 13 to 16 sources from a drumset, just as from real drums.
  • A vocals template (in an album project, this is handy when one have mixed one or two songs and more or less nailed the settings for the singer when it's more songs to mix/record in the album
  • An audio track that it's connected to the output of a MID bus.

Here's a situation where this can be useful and you might hopefully see what I mean by studying the screenshot:

There is no plugin in the MIDI track, and each MIDI bus gets its sources from that one. The stereo bus goes to a stereo audio track (using that one for the singer, musicians, or as a quick sketch) and the multi one is for ordinary mixing when everything in the project is recorded and ready for editing and mixing.

Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
In windows the hidden directory containes clarlí the template files, so easy to delete or rename.
No problem with this.
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(12-08-2021, 06:15 AM)Tassy Wrote: In windows the hidden directory containes clarlí the template files, so easy to delete or rename.
No problem with this.

Is this an answer to my posting? In that case, I don't understand what you mean. If it is, then I should emphasize that I'm talking about virtual category folders, keeping in mind that I mentioned picking templates from the list in New Track dialog box.  :-)

EDIT: Or are you saying that I can make a folder in the physical template folder and that the contents in there will produce a track from each template inside it when I add a new track by choosing the folder?
I wrote it to the original post to Dingo, meaning that the session templates have no problems to find, delete or rename and needless to change anything.
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(12-08-2021, 09:17 AM)Tassy Wrote: I wrote it to the original post to Dingo, meaning that the session templates have no problems to find, delete or rename and needless to change anything.

That proves that everything in the world doesn't circle around me!  Thanks!   Smile

Now, this thread is active again. That's good!
(12-08-2021, 09:17 AM)Tassy Wrote: I wrote it to the original post to Dingo, meaning that the session templates have no problems to find, delete or rename and needless to change anything.
That may be the case if you know your way around 'under the hood'.
In macOS the Mixbus Preferences are contained in a hidden folder and it takes a certain level of 'tech head' to get there.
Whilst I don't have an issue, lots of users are coming from a creative / artistic background not computing.
If Harrison can easily provide a better user experience then that's gotta be better.
Like you I don't want to see valuable programmer time wasted...
I started this thread to initiate discussion because I have noticed how many queries about managing templates there have been in this forum.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5