Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record through plugins
I would like to see mixbus implement the same feature seen in S1 and Reaper. Being able to load plugins on the input and track through them.
i feel like you can do that.

lets use a guitar amp sim as the best good example i can thing of create a new track with you input monitoring on with the plug in. enable the input monitoring but do NOT record enable it. this is going to be the functional equivalnet of Cubase (or the othrs there copying them) input channel.

now you’re u record enable a second audio track....with its source the output of the first one.

i know this works to record the audio of VIs “live as its played” like I do....i dont know why it wouldnt work for straight audio plug in. you can fiddle with how you want to monitor. disable all bussing for the first and just monitor through thre recording track....or visa versa....
Indeed, you can record effects as JamieLang suggests: just create a bus for the effects, and feed its output into a track that you record.

However we are developing a move-able record&playback processor in the channelstrip so you can record wet, or do bounce/freeze-type operations, very flexibly. That will become available in some future version.

-Ben
(06-26-2018, 07:22 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Indeed, you can record effects as JamieLang suggests: just create a bus for the effects, and feed its output into a track that you record.

However we are developing a move-able record&playback processor in the channelstrip so you can record wet, or do bounce/freeze-type operations, very flexibly. That will become available in some future version.

-Ben

...makes only sense with universal latency compensation. This might be a better reason for it instead of "lack of mixbuses".
MMM
(06-26-2018, 07:22 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Indeed, you can record effects as JamieLang suggests: just create a bus for the effects, and feed its output into a track that you record.

-Ben

Great news!
Thanks for the reply’s. Currently I am doing it the way JamieLang describes. But it’s not the same as how S1 and Reaper etc. it’s just better the way they do it.

Ben that indeed is great news. Looking forward to it. Thanks.
In an effort to better voice what YOU are asking for....Studio One works just like Cubase...global input channels...which work like I described here EXCEPT they get a secondary fractional process buffer for less latency.

Reaper has no such secondary buffer...nor any global input channels...but, you can select to record the output of the channel rather than input. That is unique to Reaper's "universal everything's a track" mode. No other DAW I'm aware of does that.

The "floating" record head send discussed above would be most like that. It wont do anything to lower the latency, if that's the problem you're running into.
(06-26-2018, 07:22 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Indeed,  you can record effects as JamieLang suggests:  just create a bus for the effects,  and feed its output into a track that you record.

However we are developing a move-able record&playback processor in the channelstrip  so you can record wet,  or do bounce/freeze-type operations, very flexibly.    That will become available in some future version.

-Ben

Was this ever done?

I can't seem to find anything in 10 on moving the "recording-point", or a movable processor.

Since this was dated in 2018, I would hope that future version has come out 6 years later... Smile
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 14.5
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
(Yesterday, 05:30 PM)jeff_sloan Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 07:22 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Indeed,  you can record effects as JamieLang suggests:  just create a bus for the effects,  and feed its output into a track that you record.

However we are developing a move-able record&playback processor in the channelstrip  so you can record wet,  or do bounce/freeze-type operations, very flexibly.    That will become available in some future version.

-Ben

Was this ever done?

I can't seem to find anything in 10 on moving the "recording-point", or a movable processor.

Since this was dated in 2018, I would hope that future version has come out 6 years later... Smile

I haven't tried this in Mixbus, but in Ardour, it works . The second post in the link describes how 
https://discourse.ardour.org/t/how-do-yo...ord/104845
(11 hours ago)BSchmitty Wrote:
(Yesterday, 05:30 PM)jeff_sloan Wrote:

-Ben

Was this ever done?

I haven't tried this in Mixbus, but in Ardour, it works . The second post in the link describes how 
https://discourse.ardour.org/t/how-do-yo...ord/104845

Well, it says this, just to keep it in this thread:

"Right Click in the Processor Box (Plugins, etc.) for a track. Select Disk IO > Custom
You now have a recorder and player you can drag to be in front of or behind your plugins to affect where the recording and playback of the signal happens.
Seablade"

But there is no Select Disk IO > Anything to choose from...
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 14.5
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders