Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over Engineering Question
I was listening to a podcast this week that was talking about vocal editing with Melodyne, and they got into a similar thing with drum editing. I'm probably being naive, but I thought the degree of editing they were talking about was absurd, or maybe just not my cup of tea. I know both participants know getting the original performances right is best, and I'm sure there are situations where complex edits need to be done. But I just think about all the awesome music that's been created for decades without all this "surgery" that we've been capable of for a while now. It feels like there's an obligation to edit or process the something to oblivion just because we can. As cool as all our tools are, it seems there's at least a potential for them to distract us from the bottom line of the music itself. I guess this has just been on my mind more lately as I've been more in a mode of creating and trying to get those gears turning. I guess this can get into production "philosophies" as well.

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
(06-23-2018, 03:58 PM)doncolga Wrote: I was listening to a podcast this week that was talking about vocal editing with Melodyne, and they got into a similar thing with drum editing. I'm probably being naive, but I thought the degree of editing they were talking about was absurd, or maybe just not my cup of tea. I know both participants know getting the original performances right is best, and I'm sure there are situations where complex edits need to be done. But I just think about all the awesome music that's been created for decades without all this "surgery" that we've been capable of for a while now. It feels like there's an obligation to edit or process the something to oblivion just because we can. As cool as all our tools are, it seems there's at least a potential for them to distract us from the bottom line of the music itself. I guess this has just been on my mind more lately as I've been more in a mode of creating and trying to get those gears turning. I guess this can get into production "philosophies" as well.

Donny
Donny, I could not agree with you more. I always keep in mind, "Less Is More" when it comes to messing with a " got it right when it was tracked" recording. I think it's very easy to over edit because there are so many tools in "the box". I try to rely on the tools that are on either side of my head (my ears). The best tools you will ever own.
Alex
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes