Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVA ME and Bitwig 2.3.2 ( Linux only )
I did some other testing in a way, by trying out some Rob Papen (windows, eg. linVST) synths in Bitwig. One synth, Blade, started to make this corrupted audio sound. I restarted Bitwig and it was still corrupted when using pianoteq. So I decided to give Mixbus32C a try, why not. The Blade synth loaded just fine and ..., played just fine. There was no problem with the audio at all. Whereas seconds ago Bitwig insisted to deliver a corrupted audio. I then tried several other Rob Papen demo synths in Mixbus32C for several minutes each and they all ran fine. I do not use Mixbus32C for creation, though. And Mixbus32C does not allow right-clicking in the Go2 Rob Papen synth.

Based on this, the audio corruption results on an faulty interaction Bitwig does with a plugin and in doing so seemingly harms the jackd process. With AVA ME it happens when AVA ME crashes as soon as clicking on the graph line and dragging it just a little bit is done. The audio becomes corrupted and restarting Bitwig does not help.

When AVA ME crashes jackd outputs the following :

JackPosixSemaphore::TimedWait err = Connection timed out

JackFreewheelDriver:TonguerocessSync: SuspendRefNum error

JackAudioDriver:TonguerocessGraphSync: ProcessWriteSlaves error, engine
may now behave abnormally!!

Restarting jackd solves the audio corruption as far as Bitwig is concerned. Curiously enough, Mixbus32C has no problems with this when ran immediately after a "corrupted-audio" Bitwig and moreover, running it and playing a few notes, then exiting and restarting Bitwig, makes Bitwig OK with the audio.

Since Bitwig commercially supports Linux, I will drop them a line about this. If we put the AVA ME graphic problem aside, the audio corruption is a Bitwig problem.

UPDATE When trying out the Image Line Harmor synth demo, Bitwig will display the UI OK but will not after it has been minimized. Bringing back the UI will result in a black window. In Mixbus32C there's no such problem. So the DAW software has a role to play in displaying the basic functionality of a plugin UI.

Cheers.
Another update is as follows:

An Image Line Sytrus (1) sound patch using all available 6 operators feeding a single filter will immediately get the audio crackling in Bitwig 2.3.3 ..... whereas it sounds just fine in Mixbus32C. Mixbus32C will also redisplay correctly the synth after being minimized whereas Bitwig will show a totally black Window. All graphic and audio libraries are very likely present on the system for the proper execution of Sytrus. This points again at a problem Bitwig is having.

(1) Running using the current linVST and wine-staging. The patch is called 'Atmosphere' and is available as part of the Sytrus demo from Image Line.

Cheers.
similar experience here: Ava plugin just crashes in Bitwig as soon as i try to draw a line or set the hpf... all my other plugins U-he etc work fine here... I m on linux mint