Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washroom uses
It's quite interesting, if you have a washroom or any other room nearby, to walk away and listen to the mix from another room. I'm certainly adding this listening to headphones and mono Auratone (Behritone) to the regular monitors.
Getting 'perspective' is very important. I check by replaying through a number of different speakers.
Also for Dialogue mixing for TV it helps to get some distance away (living room to kitchen type difference) to hear what 'room artefacts' and apparent loudness will do to speech clarity.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(03-15-2018, 06:55 PM)jonetsu Wrote: It's quite interesting, if you have a washroom or any other room nearby, to walk away and listen to the mix from another room. I'm certainly adding this listening to headphones and mono Auratone (Behritone) to the regular monitors.

+1000. Yes, I do this alot. I should still be able to hear everything, or at least the major components. My monitors are in the picture. The one I like best is the black rectangle one. Reveals level imbalances like a champ.

Donny

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Good to see there are more people with a messy setup, of course not as messy as mine.

The black speaker is a single point source. all sounds come from a singel point. Maybe that is the reason why you prefer them

I use only single point source monitors, Tannoy Dual Concentrics. Just like Adrew Sheps.
They give a perfect stereo image and localization. Specially percussive sounds come to life.
On good recordings you hear the batter reach the skin. Arrival times of low and high frequencies are exactly the same.

In the reverberound part of the sound that smoothes out.
I remember in one studio that had these huge westlake monitors 2x 15 wooden horn slit : the only place where you could hear properly was in the kitchen behind the desk.

Luckily they had some Tannoy reds 10 0r 12 "

Regards

PS I did not copy Andrew i had tannoys before him, and he did not copy me: he does not know me.
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(03-16-2018, 07:42 PM)Frank Wrote: Good to see there are more people with a messy setup, of course not as messy as mine.

The black speaker is a single point source. all sounds come from a singel point. Maybe that is the reason why you prefer them

I use only single point source monitors, Tannoy Dual Concentrics. Just like Adrew Sheps.
They give a perfect stereo image and localization. Specially percussive sounds come to life.
On good recordings you hear the batter reach the skin. Arrival times of low and high frequencies are exactly the same.

In the reverberound part of the sound that smoothes out.
I remember in one studio that had these huge westlake monitors 2x 15 wooden horn slit : the only place where you could hear properly was in the kitchen behind the desk.

Luckily they had some Tannoy reds 10 0r 12 "

Regards

PS I did not copy Andrew i had tannoys before him, and he did not copy me: he does not know me.

Hey Frank,

Are there different models of the Dual Concentrics?

Thanks!

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
There are quite a few companies producing them and as Frank stated they solve the potential timing issues arising from separate drivers.

Check out Fluid Audio, Genelec and some others out there..

I would suggest however that improvements in stereo imaging/localization should start at room/acoustic symmetry and treatment of ER rather than a very expensive pair of monitors! You can splash the cash once this is good enough to justify the expenditure!

Si
(03-16-2018, 09:54 PM)doncolga Wrote: Hey Frank,
Are there different models of the Dual Concentrics?
Thanks!

Donny

Hi Don

yes there are

In the years the made ranges from 6 or 8"up to 15"
Historical famous type are the reds and the Super Reds
There is a lot to be found on the net.

Tannoy.com shows the present series.

I see Andrew Sheps prefers the red 10" i think.
I use the 8 and 12"version of the system series,
And the 12 "and 15 " CPA
for surround speaker i use the Tannoy Arena 100 mm DC .

Historical version people pay now huge amounts, while i hink the later version are better.
Here one can find all the historical ones..

They used to have a great studio range , but British have never been good at marketing them

I have no commercial relation with thwm

regards

(03-17-2018, 04:34 AM)SimonGreen Wrote: There are quite a few companies producing them and as Frank stated they solve the potential timing issues arising from separate drivers.

Check out Fluid Audio, Genelec and some others out there..

I would suggest however that improvements in stereo imaging/localization should start at room/acoustic symmetry and treatment of ER rather than a very expensive pair of monitors! You can splash the cash once this is good enough to justify the expenditure!

Si

I do not agree. an incoherent wave front cannot be corrected by room acoustics.
Maybe masked.

The Tannoys have a well defined radiation pattern as well which makes the frequency response in the direct field not postion dependent.

I have seen the announcement of the Genelecs , but not seen independent test reports, or heard them. : so i cannot judge about them.

It would be lovely if they made true Point Source monitors. They make a huge difference.

Regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(03-17-2018, 04:34 AM)SimonGreen Wrote: Check out Fluid Audio, Genelec and some others out there..

Very happy with the Fluid FX8 Smile
MMM
Quote:I do not agree. an incoherent wave front cannot be corrected by room acoustics.
Maybe masked.

Where the heck did I suggest that an incoherent wave front could be corrected by acoustic treatment? I merely suggested that other factors influence the quality of stereo imaging and that these should be considered prior to spending money on coaxial monitors if improved stereo imaging is the desired result. The most common weakest link in most peoples monitoring chain is not the monitors....

Peace..

Si

(03-17-2018, 09:15 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(03-17-2018, 04:34 AM)SimonGreen Wrote: Check out Fluid Audio, Genelec and some others out there..

Very happy with the Fluid FX8 Smile
MMM

I'd like to have a listen to the Fluids.. heard some good things (no pun intended!)

Si
[quote='SimonGreen' pid='35110' dateline='1521317779']
[quote]

I do not agree. an incoherent wave front cannot be corrected by room acoustics.
Maybe masked.

[/quote]

Where the heck did I suggest that an incoherent wave front could be corrected by acoustic treatment? I merely suggested that other factors influence the quality of stereo imaging and that these should be considered prior to spending money on coaxial monitors if improved stereo imaging is the desired result. The most common weakest link in most peoples monitoring chain is not the monitors....

Peace..

Si

well you suggested first a better room, than better speakers.

after my suggestion : better speakers. If you use dual concentrics aka my Tannoys in near field room treatment does not matter.

To take it in the extreme : How can you improve a stereo image , when there is non.

MMM went to DC after my suggestion

Sheps has four sets of Tannoy now i understand

But yes peace first : and just listen

Regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra