Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flash mixes
What I like to do are what I call "flash mixes". Quickly mixing tracks of a work in progress, a sketch, an improv, so that it can be put on a USB key, a CD for listening in the car, kitchen, etc. Right off the start the mindset is to get quickly something that sounds not too bad. It this case no browsing for plugins, no long thoughts and analysis, just quickly get it done. It's some kind of a balance between throwing stuff at the mix and going down to the basics in an efficient manner. Some kind of mix kung fu of sorts. In such a mindset what's offered natively by Mixbus32C is the first, and often, the only choice. EQ and compression, that's it. And make it quickly sound not-too-bad. No mixbusses, no native tape saturation. No audio busses. Quick. When done, a Satin tape emulator is put on the master bus, always use the same preset, almost no adjustments, then a slight first stage compression from the XT-MC 'Mix Comp' or Presswerk's Easy Compressor device, then a Presswerk Limiter device. Get to -13 LUFS or so, done.

I find that doing those very quick mixes with almost a single minded approach of getting it done quickly in a fair way brings a perspective to regular mixes in which a fair amount of work is done.
Yes, this what I love to do too. I enjoy mixing fast and keeping things moving. Avoiding the "analysis paralysis" syndrome, and I agree, MixBus does this in spades right out of the box. A similar effect happens in other DAWs once you have a good template. The problem with templates is keeping them from getting so complex. That happened to me on a template I was making for StudioOne, and I've simplified it alot to model MixBus. I think people just can't get their heads wrapped around the idea that you can get a great sounding mix quickly without opening a single plugin. For the right song, I may indeed do no busses as you point out. Even less to think about. I think sometimes people get caught up in the complexity for it's own sake, and forget "just make it sound good".
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA