Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixing in mono
They say mixing in mono helps give you better mixes, is it different then mixing your elements in mono channels or does a mono summing button needs to added to the whole main master channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the mono button in the monitor section all of the time. Summing to mono can help you hear whether important elements get masked or can still be heard clearly, since most music listening is not done on studio momitors or an audiophile system.
To me, mixing in mono on one MixCube goes a really long way in getting balances good. I really pay attention if I can hear the kick and bass well in that context and make adjustments until I can. Also, I reference to commercial mixes periodically as I mix and I'm sure to turn them down to match my level. For a LONG time, I tried to get my mix that loud from the beginning. That was *YEARS* of frustration and wondering what I was doing wrong. Some great online resources helped me to better with that.

After I balance on the single little speaker, I'll listen on a little CD player, which of course is in stereo. That seems to do better for setting effects levels. I also have a couple pair of headphones I use also. One is bass heavy, for checking the bass. The other not so much. This also helps get the room out of the picture. And I do reference to commercial mixes on all of these. I've actually been using my main monitors less and less lately.

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
That’s cool, thanks for the replies Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02-25-2018, 02:18 PM)doncolga Wrote: To me, mixing in mono on one MixCube goes a really long way in getting balances good.

Amen to this...

Si
Andrew Scheps talks about dimming the high end of tracks that should sound like they are in back of other tracks to give a depth spacial dimension when doing the mono mix.

In general, i think reduced high end makes things sound louder. Especially drums. Too much cymbal sound makes mixes sound quiet. It's like putting the listener next to the drummer. When the band is loud and the listener backs up, that high end diminishes.