Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Track, Group, Bus and VCA Organization Workflow
Hi everybody,

I'm encountering some frustration with my workflow and I'm curious if I could make improvements. It seems I could make getting ready to mix less of a hassle.

Right now, I import tracks with the import utility, then reorder them, then put them into groups, then create the busses, then assign tracks to busses. That seems like lots of repetitive tasks for every song I mix. Reordering tracks can be very tedious, and definitely takes the most time, especially if high track counts are involved, and depending on how out of order tracks are pulled in. Naming busses and creating groups is next for time spent preparing to mix.

As I'm writing this out, I've thought of some solutions I'll try. For placing tracks in the correct order from the very beginning, I think I'll drag what I need in the order I need, from Windows Explorer. This would eliminate much, but not all reordering, because I like to arrange related tracks in the order they appear in the song. Since the tracks come in mostly in order, this will put me at grouping faster. My busses tend to be similar, so I'm probably going to do a template to speed that up.

Any thought from you all about your workflow for preparing to mix?

Also, can the busses and VCA's be hidden with a single click somewhere? That would be very handy.

Thanks!

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
For the mixbusses view/hiding:

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-5655.html
(02-20-2018, 03:46 PM)jonetsu Wrote: For the mixbusses view/hiding:

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-5655.html

Great...thanks so much! That is awesome!
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
So...I think I made some good progress on workflow this evening:

1. Spread the console across dual monitors. That was nice and very helpful. Great, great track management. I could see all channels (using the spill function), 12 busses and 8 VCA's all at once. Massively cool and effective.
2. Pulling in the track in the order I needed helped alot. I didn't reorder many tracks at all.
3. Grouping the busses as tipped above...that was very helpful.
4. Using a template with effects, busses and VCA pretty much ready to go. All I did was assign groups and busses. Next time I may just do busses.
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA