Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sonar>jack>mixbus
I want to be able to simultaneously bring a signal in from the interface to sonar for tracking and mix bus for monitoring.
then play from sonar to mix bus while monitoring another signal in from interface.
Mix bus just as a mixer.

mix bus ---------
mic/line--interface--{ }--interface--monitors
sonar-- mix bus--
what have you managed to do until now?

e.g have you managed to track in sonar and monitor in mixbus?

This is a theoretical approach

Assuming you have two or more inputs in your interface

e.g input A a mic/guitar whatever
input B the same

input A -> sonar (record) -> mixbus (monitoring)

form sonar to mixbus connect the output of the specific sonar track to a track on mixbus. Assuming that you are not recording hot and you would like to hear louder, hit the record button only on the mixbus track to see the levels. From there you have the option either to use the monitor section and make the output louder or send it to mix bus (and the mastr bus) in parallel. That will make it louder. Or you can combine both. if you wish to lower the loudness use the faders

For input B make a new track in mixbus connect the input from the interface and follow the above steps just to monitor.

All the above as I mentioned in the beginning is a theoretical approach. however if you see the interface inputs in both daws I believe it will work

(01-12-2018, 04:29 PM)cortshredder Wrote: I want to be able to simultaneously bring a signal in from the interface to sonar for tracking and mix bus for monitoring.
then play from sonar to mix bus while monitoring another signal in from interface.
Mix bus just as a mixer.

mix bus ---------
mic/line--interface--{ }--interface--monitors
sonar-- mix bus--
Still working on it. I use an M-audio 1814, 10 in 6 out. Right now I get mic signal into mix bus (jack router) I have jack router linked from interface to mix bus and in parallel to sonar but only getting signal to mix bus.

Iv'e used cakewalk for near 20 years. I have worked in studios that had analog consoles and adat recorders.
I had a teac 20 channel 4 bus I used for years. I miss real mixers, mix bus is what is lacking in other daws.
Really I think mix bus should have been developed as a plugin so it could be used in any daw as an alternative to the lousy mixers.
jack in theory is zero latency applciation so if you send the signal form interface to sonar and from sonar to mixbus you can have the same result.

However I am not sure if this is what you want to achieve

(01-12-2018, 06:10 PM)cortshredder Wrote: Still working on it. I use an M-audio 1814, 10 in 6 out. Right now I get mic signal into mix bus (jack router) I have jack router linked from interface to mix bus and in parallel to sonar but only getting signal to mix bus.

Iv'e used cakewalk for near 20 years. I have worked in studios that had analog consoles and adat recorders.
I had a teac 20 channel 4 bus I used for years. I miss real mixers, mix bus is what is lacking in other daws.
Really I think mix bus should have been developed as a plugin so it could be used in any daw as an alternative to the lousy mixers.
Ok got it working somewhat, I can get jack router to connect interface to both mix bus and sonar at same time. record sonar but listening on mix bus. then play sonar and listen on mix bus. it works but buggy. both programs open don't work well. jack disconnects from sonar anytime i dis arm a track. then when I rearm jack connects how it wants to. this is to much trouble to deal with. So i'm done.
I'll do Midi on sonar and import that to mix bus and track on mix bus.

Mix bus should just be a plug in.

Honestly, I may be using reaper for editing, If I can get used to it. I've really only used cakewalk for midi before.
Reaper seems to load faster and use less power and memory than sonar, Smaller footprint.
I does run ok with mix bus using rearoute.
how did you get the audio back into sonar? I am able to route into mixbus, see the levels, hear the sound, but having a hard time getting the signal back into a sonar track. i know my prob is more sonar related, but any help appreciated.
I had to first open jack, then open sonar. In the options, select jack router as audio device. In the drivers tab uncheck audio card ins/outs, and check jack router. Open your project in sonar and arm for recording. In the jack control, open connections and you should see sonar and system. You have expand to see the routing. By default, jack will connect sonar to 2 ins and 2 outs of the sound card.
Then open mixbus and select jack. It will self connect. reopen connections in jack control and you'll see mixbus in there.
You will have to click and drag mixbus outs to sonar ins. Jack won't see sonar if tracks aren't armed. I don't know why when it shows reaper whether it's armed are not.
I just can't use mixbus and sonar at the same time. Other wise Jack does work but I think It may work better in linux or mac.
Yes, I can get far enough in Jack/Connections to get audio to Mixbus, and I can even hear the sounds (I assume from mixbus thru audio card and main outs). How are you getting the sound from mb to sonar? I have tried creating an aux track, but I can't change the input. Same with an audio track. Because I couldn't change the input, I didn't even try to arm.
What I did Was send sound card input to both mix bus and sonar at the same time. Just click and drag sound card in to mixbus then click and drag from that same in to sonar, like using a spliter. To get mix bus to sonar, arm tracks in sonar or jack won't see it.
With sonar tracks armed, sonar shows up in jack. Click and drag mixbus out to sonar in.
I figured it out. I didn't have the routing correct in MB. Once I output to the right channels I was able to arm a track and get audio back to sonar.

Now, I cannot figure out how to sync transport and clocks. Sigh...