Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New User Confusion: Recording Arbitrarily Stops
Not sure where to start... happy to post details I leave out.

Linux omitted 4.13.0-19-generic #22~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 4 15:35:18 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Licensed copy gcc5
Mixbus 4.2.74
(rev 4.2-74-gdd414f3)
Intel 64-bit

Using ALSA with Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, arm track, arm transport and start recording. All sounds good, but then recording stops at arbitrary times 1-30 seconds...

Viewed the log, and No errors. Had MMC errors but read to turn off Respond/Send MMC commands in Preferences > Sync > MIDI.

Is there a way to debug as to why this is happening? I don't have any punch in/out points set.

/opt/Mixbus-4.2.74/bin% ./mixbus4
bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour4] to /this/cannot/exist
Mixbus4.2.74 (built using 4.2-74-gdd414f3 and GCC version 5.2.1 20151028)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Mixbus to only 1048576 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Mixbus-4.2.74/etc/system_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/matt/.config/mixbus4/config
ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-4.2.74/etc/default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/matt/.config/mixbus4/ui_config
Color shuttle bg not found
ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /opt/Mixbus-4.2.74/share/themes/dark-mixbus.colors
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-4.2.74/etc/clearlooks.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-4.2.74/etc/clearlooks.rc
Found 2 along /home/matt/.config/mixbus4/templates:/opt/Mixbus-4.2.74/share/templates
run dialog
Scanning folders for bundled LV2s: /opt/Mixbus-4.2.74/lib/LV2
Scanning folders for updated LV2s: /home/matt/.cache/harrison/LV2-v4-linux64
instantiatePlugin sample rate 48000
instantiatePlugin sample rate 48000
Set cursor set to default
Editor didn't find MouseMode/set-mouse-mode-cut in editor
Editor didn't find MouseMode/set-mouse-mode-cut in editor
Mixbus: Screen height is 2160; Font scale is 2.01004; User-scale is 1.4; Suggested scale: 1.5
actually writing state to /home/matt/Audio/TEST2/TEST2.tmp
renaming state to /home/matt/Audio/TEST2/TEST2.pending
renaming state to /home/matt/Audio/TEST2/TEST2.ardour

The only thing that seems weird is I see "instantiatePlugin sample rate 48000" but audio setting are set for 44.1k in Audio Setup, but I don't hear any issues on playback.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Thanks for supporting Linux!
There is a checkbox in "Preferences" that if checked will stop recording if xruns occur. Right click in the performance box in the upper right, and check the xruns box to show the xrun counter.
(12-19-2017, 02:10 PM)superb Wrote: There is a checkbox in "Preferences" that if checked will stop recording if xruns occur. Right click in the performance box in the upper right, and check the xruns box to show the xrun counter.

This did fix the issue and after looking up xrun in ALSA, I think I understand what is going on.

Make sure to calibrate your Hardware input / output latency in Window > Audio / MIDI Setup. Mine needed to be set at 372 for both, rather than 0. When this is not done you can hear artifacts in the audio when the xruns occur (if I remember what I heard) so perhaps the xrun option could be helpful at times.

Thank you for your reply!
I'm having the same issue on Mac OSX. I cannot locate the checkbox or 'performance' box that is referred to in the reply . Can I get a screenshot or further instruction please?

Thanks!
(12-22-2017, 02:11 AM)Cresno Wrote: I'm having the same issue on Mac OSX. I cannot locate the checkbox or 'performance' box that is referred to in the reply . Can I get a screenshot or further instruction please?

Thanks!

[attachment=1278]

Here you go! Wink
W7 home Premiumx64,,,, AVlinux.
I started out with nothing & still have most of it left! (Seasick Steve)Big Grin