Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Track comping?
I've done some searches....lots of references to changing the layers to stacked and "dragging the parts you want up to the top"....but, no video examples that I found.

I've done comping a lot of ways in various apps....never have I come across anything as kludgey as what I found here. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong. To start with--the cuts (separate) didn't go through all the layers. That can't be right. Then dragging pieces to the top caused it to chuck others that overlapped down?

What's your methodology here. You want to do 5 vocal takes....and comp....how do YOU handle that in Mixbus?
(12-11-2017, 06:47 PM)JamieLang Wrote: What's your methodology here. You want to do 5 vocal takes....and comp....how do YOU handle that in Mixbus?

If the takes are not in each track, I usually make new audio tracks for each of them. And I do make one or two (if overlaps) new one(s) for the comped parts. If all the takes are layered in one track, then I copy them over to the new tracks.

Now I'm copying the the good parts to the final comp track. I'm pretty sure that I previously could just hold down the Ctrl button and just drag a copy of the selected part over to the final track while in lock edit mode, but I can't find a way to do it anymore, so this is what I do now and that is nearly as effective (please correct me if this (still) works):

I put the grid on and the grid units to bars or beats (or whatever that's good for the situation), and I set the edit point to "mouse". Now I select the part I want comped and copy it (Ctrl+c), then I click on the right bar (or place) in the comp track and hit Ctrl+v.

Finally, I put off the grid and adjust the start, crossfades and end points of the copied regions.

Hope this helps.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
@Jostein: if you want to override the "lock" mode, you can drag with the middle-mouse button.

If you are in Lock mode, this will allow you to drag regions sideways. If you are NOT in lock mode, then this will initiate a locked drag.

Personally, when I'm working on a band recording, I leave "Lock" mode enabled all the time (in the top-left of the editor). That prevents me from accidentally dragging something out of time. Then I use the middle-mouse button if I need to nudge something on the timeline.

-Ben
Thanks. A new track hasn't even occurred to me--when the ad copy says "digital goes old school"-they're not kidding. Wink

So to cut takes all in the same places...you put it into stacked mode and use the range tool to select all and separate?
@Ben and @JamieLang: Great! Then I guess the most sufficient way of comping is this:

First: Set Edit Mode to "Lock", use Grab Mode with Smart Mode, enable Grid Mode and let it snap to whatever suits you best and set Edit Point to "Mouse".

Then repeat the following routine as many times as required:
  1. Select the part (a range) to copy to the destination track from RIGHT to LEFT (then the edit point is at the start of the selection)
  2. Hit Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v so the selected part now has a copy exactly over your selected part, then hit the ESC button.
  3. Drag the selected copy to the destination track

@JamieLang: When we talk about stacked tracks, I don't do it. I move the useful or best takes to their own tracks and work from there, but that is just my preference. I normally only do layers when recording in a loop.

More info on stacked tracks here: http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-3597.html
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Comping ?

1) Lock mode
2) Split the desired length
3) make new empty track
4) Drag the Split section to new track

add Sugar and Spice according to taste
Smile
Win 7 x64(Desktop), Win 7 x32(two Laptops) and Win 8 x64(Laptop)

Audio-interface :
  1. Soundcraft analog mixer [USB]
  2. Komplete Audio 6 [USB]
  3. Roland Adirol [USB]

mixbus32c