Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ardour5 launches 32C does not
It is not very useful to report to have a problem (PB) with a specific version of Linux.
Unless you want to be pitied.

It helps to be specific: what kind of problem: with which software ( version numbers!), what error messages are generated etc.
Actually the distributions of Linux do not differ that much.
so indicating which problem with what we can see what causes problems.

I see people create their own versions, Patrick Kox have made a extensive guide, which can be found here

regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(11-21-2017, 01:44 AM)gpj1136 Wrote: After a fair amount of searching and trying different kernel I discovered a decent way, and easy way to install an rt kernel with a fast desk top for the novice linux user, or anyone who wants to have a clean install. It is in this new thread.

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-5379.html

GREAT thanks because had pbs with ubuntu studio too
Harrison Mixbus 4.3|Reaper5|Waveform8| Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS
(01-30-2018, 03:16 AM)Ilaw Wrote:
(11-21-2017, 01:44 AM)gpj1136 Wrote: After a fair amount of searching and trying different kernel I discovered a decent way, and easy way to install an rt kernel with a fast desk top for the novice linux user, or anyone who wants to have a clean install. It is in this new thread.

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-5379.html

GREAT thanks because had pbs with ubuntu studio too

I am currently experimenting with Manjaro, and Archbang. Both are based on Arch. Arch seems to have done a fair deal with RT Kernels.

Manjaro has a nice Xfce set up that works out of the box with an easy install after which you can set up the RT Kernel, and other studio tools.

Manjaro, also has one called Architect that is highly configurable for installation. Archbang gets you installed with Arch in a minimalist way that you configure to your needs after installation. Unfortunately both are a bit fussy with the mirrors. and keyrings and fail repetitively until you set them up right. It's hsa learning curve.

Fedora based on Red Hat, also has an Lxde version that really covers the hardware drivers "plug and play" really well, and covers RT Kernels with the Planet CCRMA repositories.

Manjaro, and Fedora Both use Root for deep work, and an administrator for a good deal with sudo commands. You could set up users for anyone else with permissions in a realtime group without sudo.

Right now I'm leaning towards either Fedora, Manjaro, or Archbang---Arch.
Fedora for hardware support.
Arch for RT Kernel support.

I am still in the tryout stage for Manjaro, but if it turns out to have the hardware support like fedora. I think it's where I stay.
thx
i'll try manjaro then fedora Smile maybe I could try with a Suse too?
Harrison Mixbus 4.3|Reaper5|Waveform8| Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS
I've not tried Suse, I still think Arch looks the most promising for RT, although when I loaded the RT Kernel it won't boot, so the drivers, need a bit more sorting out then other distro's seem to need. I added a PCIE card reader that breaks out 4 extra USB3 ports in a pre-installed Fedora. Booted up and it worked without needing any drivers added. Impressive.

I got my Gigabyte Radeon RX560 today. Now I hope to be able to use Superior Drummer in Wine. If I can connect it to Mixbus. All will be well.

I still want to see if I can get the Nvidia Card to work with out the GUI freeze in Manjaro. I have my doubts, but can't resist attempting it.Wink
Antergos is closer to an Arch install then Manjaro, it uses mostly Arch repositories. Manjaro uses mostly it's own repositories, but you can use Arch repositories as well.

https://antergos.com/
I was having the same issue as the OP in this thread, I followed the advise of x42 as posted in the Ardour forum:
https://community.ardour.org/node/15363

"/blacklist/ all LADSPAs:
sudo chmod 0 /usr/lib/ladspa/"

This fixed the issue for me, and I can now get Mixbus to open.

Happy camper here. Thanx x42!
I installed fedora xfce last week. Default install, everything works, but it set jack to use half the memory (4 gig). I get a memlock notification starting mixbus32c, but it still works. I set it lower, (50 meg), but still get the error. I'm not using jack at all. I've been playing with a 16 track mix with no issues.

I want more plug and play. That's why I like mint for a desktop, fedora is nust laid out different.

Bruce
(03-04-2018, 07:46 AM)BruceGA Wrote: I installed fedora xfce last week. Default install, everything works, but it set jack to use half the memory (4 gig). I get a memlock notification starting mixbus32c, but it still works. I set it lower, (50 meg), but still get the error. I'm not using jack at all. I've been playing with a 16 track mix with no issues.

I want more plug and play. That's why I like mint for a desktop, fedora is nust laid out different.

Bruce

Try installing "rtirq" it should set the memory for irq's, also make sure you are in the audio group.
That should take care of the memlock issue.
Hi Folks,

I had the same challenge with a vanilla version of Ubuntu Studio 18.04.

It is worth a note in your linux installation directions...

The advice from X-42 get's the application to scan the plugins (minus the LADSPA directory) and the app does it's first start-up.

https://community.ardour.org/node/15363