Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File Selector, Right Click and Plugin abbreviations
Hi
Working with Mixbus since a couple of weeks and the best way to test is to do some real projects. I like a lot of the concepts of MB, and I am now really trying if MB is a serious alternative for audio editing/mixing. I am not 100% sure if the points below are really feature requests, they are more feature improvement requests... (or it is already possible, but I didn't find it ;-)
Anyway:

• File Selector
I am on MacOS, so this might be different for Windows/Linux, but I find it weird that the built in file selector shows all the hidden folders that are normally invisible (bin, cores, dev, etc.) I think this should be fixed, but I personally would prefer the MacOS file selector over the one that MB uses anyway.
Maybe some people might find the MB file selector extremely convenient, but in that case I'd prefer a Preference where I could choose to use the default OS file selector. It makes getting used to MB a bit easier, as in my MacOS file system I already have all the shortcuts to folders and drives I need.

• Right Click
I couldn't find a way to assign right click to the normal/left click and a keyboard modifier (like ctrl), and I have the feeling this is not possible. I know most people nowadays have a right click mouse, but most MacOS software offers the option to use a modifier key for right click in case you prefer that. I really miss this in MB. (I use a pen screen, and then a modifier key is much faster) Again, could easily be a preference, there is already a whole modifier section in preferences for the editor anyway.

• Plugin Abbreviations
When the channel strip is set to narrow some plugins are abbreviated in a strange way... UAD Massive Passive MST is abbreviated as 'ssssS', UAD EL7 Fatso Senior as 'DL7SS'.
Often the first letter(s) of each word are most important in identifying, but MB seems to do this different. I think that simple rules for abbreviation will lead to better results:
If brand/creator consists of one word; first 3 letters, if more than one word first letters of each word. (Waves = Wav, Sound Toys = ST, Plugin Alliance = PA, DMG Audio=DA) and then for the plugin itself always get the first letters, depending on the length and word count of the name. (or skip brand and only display abbreviated plugin name)

For the rest I enjoy working with MB, it is a promising platform...

Daniel