Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triggered play of an audio file (or clip)
although strictly speaking i am not a keyboard player, I have been using a similar approach : triggering a note or event.

Like Ben suggested, i used a sampler for that : In the pre Mixbus era that was a Kurweil K2000.

I am an electronic wind player. A monophonic 8 octave device. I always used the lowest octave for triggering events.

Important is that the note plays on, so ignores the note of. Kurzweil had such a mode.
A must monophonic instruments, but on longer events i guess you need your hand for something else too.

Later I switched mainly to using a sequencer: easier to to program successive notes, and it allows the sequence to stop.

A nice little tool , which plays samples and sequences is Hydrogene.

I am not so fond pad machines : for keyboard players muscle memory of a chord does not work. They take op rather much real estate on stage for just 16 buttons.

I use the Keith McMillen Qunexus. 25 pads, or keys. here Velocity, pressure and position sensitive. Polyphonic after-touch. Small fits on a keyboard.

I use two of them: stacked one above the other, so with one hand i can have a span of 8 octaves. and as a windplayer i have just one hand available.
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
Hi Frank,

Avoiding responding to the velocity note-off is why I was looking for a straight triggered sample player. The next best option for me is probably the drum-kit arrangement where the sounds are triggered and do not use the note-off. I'll may use a pad-matrix for triggering, so it need not be from the main keyboard. As I'm just triggering a few sound effects as intro/outro, muscle memory is not a concern. Just easily availability of a 'play it now' button.

Another possible trigger source for me would be TouchOSC. Real estate is no problem for this as I can stack my little LPD8 on the keyboard's music stand .. there's plenty of room as my music is on a tablet. MIDIDings, probably with LiveDings, and a foot-switch would be another method.

The QuNexus is neat. Aftertouch on that is neat.
(10-16-2017, 07:23 AM)GordonS Wrote: Hi Frank,

Avoiding responding to the velocity note-off is why I was looking for a straight triggered sample player.
Smile
(10-16-2017, 07:23 AM)GordonS Wrote: As I'm just triggering a few sound effects as intro/outro, muscle memory is not a concern. Just easily availability of a 'play it now' button.
I started like wise : First just a singel start : and that went very well with the lowest octave.
Than i started using triggered chord, and found it was more flexible to have a tiny set of keys at my side.

(10-16-2017, 07:23 AM)GordonS Wrote: Another possible trigger source for me would be TouchOSC. Real estate is no problem for this as I can stack my little LPD8 on the keyboard's music stand .. there's plenty of room as my music is on a tablet. MIDIDings, probably with LiveDings, and a foot-switch would be another method.

Footswitch does not work very well with me : i do have a great softstep. But i am mobile on stage

Great tip MIDIDings

Regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(10-16-2017, 09:40 AM)Frank Wrote: But i am mobile on stage

I am a bit ... but it's such hard work with a piano :-D
Hi,but Novation Launchpad or Launchpad s don't good for trigger sample via midi on mixbus and sampler instruments ?

gennaro
HP ELITE 8200 - 16 Giga Ram - HD 2 Terabyte - WIndows 10 - Mx Linux 21 (Debian Bullseye + kx studio based)-  Mixbus 7.2 32c
Notebook Asus x54c - dual boot Windows 10 pro- Mixbus 7.2 (32c) - Ubuntu Studio 20.04  (Mixbus 7.2 32c)
http://gennarogiugliano.altervista.org/S...enuto.html
(10-17-2017, 03:55 PM)gennargiu Wrote: Hi,but Novation Launchpad or Launchpad s don't good for trigger sample via midi on mixbus and sampler instruments ?

gennaro

Do not worry : There are no problems

But

If you are a keyboard player, it is really a totally new type of keyboard.
So you have to relearn how to play it.
On a keyboard one has learned how to play a chord: that (muscle) memory is gone on a pad.
Also chord patterns are totally different on a pad.

Live
I found that while playing live, the amount of space for putting gear can be very limited. Than Pads become big things: one cannot put them on a keyboard. And they do not fit snuggly in the computer case or backpack.

That is why i have chosen de Qunexus: 25 pads on a small space and doubles as a keyboard too.

regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

(10-18-2017, 06:31 AM)Frank Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 03:55 PM)gennargiu Wrote: Hi,but Novation Launchpad or Launchpad s don't good for trigger sample via midi on mixbus and sampler instruments ?

gennaro

Do not worry : There are no problems

But

If you are a keyboard player, it is really a totally new type of keyboard.
So you have to relearn how to play it.
On a keyboard one has learned how to play a chord: that (muscle) memory is gone on a pad.
Also chord patterns are totally different on a pad.

Live
I found that while playing live, the amount of space for putting gear can be very limited. Than Pads become big things: one cannot put them on a keyboard. And they do not fit snuggly in the computer case or backpack.

That is why i have chosen de Qunexus: 25 pads on a small space and doubles as a keyboard too.

regards

Frank

Hi Frank your Qunexus 25 pad is great device for your experiments production music on Mixbus and other software for music production Smile
HP ELITE 8200 - 16 Giga Ram - HD 2 Terabyte - WIndows 10 - Mx Linux 21 (Debian Bullseye + kx studio based)-  Mixbus 7.2 32c
Notebook Asus x54c - dual boot Windows 10 pro- Mixbus 7.2 (32c) - Ubuntu Studio 20.04  (Mixbus 7.2 32c)
http://gennarogiugliano.altervista.org/S...enuto.html