Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus running on Radar Studio?
Hello Everyone,

I just joined the group and have been using Mixbus v2.5 (Mac) for a few years. I work exclusively as a dedicated mastering engineer these days and I have been thinking about switching over to Mixbus on the Radar Studio platform with their Classic 96 converters. Do any of you run this configuration with a focus on mastering?

Currently, I use a pitch and capture approach with two different DAWs. My pitch system consists of a Mac laptop running Pro Tools with a Digidesign 002 (rack) interface with the Black Lion, "Signature Series" mod out through my.... (ANALOG) mastering chain captured into my (capture) system that is running Harrison Mixbus (Mac) with an Apogee Rosetta 200 (w/firewire card) as my interface and AD/DA conversion.

This system works great for my needs, but I'm wondering if switching over to Radar Studio might be more streamlined, stable, and possibly sound better for a mastering set up.

For those of you that know, how quiet is Radar Studio? I would like to eliminate the need to house my computer and external drives in an iso box or separate machine room if possible. I would love to hear your thoughts...

Thanks,

Brian Poole
Owner/Engineer
Moon Tree Mastering
Sacramento, CA
916-224-3552
www.moontreemastering.com
Are you going 2 track out of the 002 to analog processing to the Rosetta in on another computer running Mixbus?
(10-13-2017, 07:04 PM)Autofader Wrote: Are you going 2 track out of the 002 to analog processing to the Rosetta in on another computer running Mixbus?

Yes, exactly. That way I can capture at a higher sample rate if need be.
What do you use to check your rms, peak & LUFS? Are you using an outboard limiter before going into Mixbus & would you use Mixbus within Radar?
To check RMS levels, I just use the K-meter within Mixbus. For the most part, I don't worry about peak and LUFS and just try to focus on making the program material sound great! So far, every project that I have mastered has translated really well across all formats, streaming services, and the internet. I have even had four different projects that I have mastered this year receive local radio play and they all sounded Big, Fat, Punchy, Clear, and how I intended them to be heard.

When mastering, I typically like to hit my Overstayer M.A.S. in the analog domain and then capture into Mixbus. The Overstayer allows me to saturate the program material in a beautiful way and really bring up the RMS levels if desired.

If I make the switch, I would use Mixbus or possibly 32c within Radar Studio.