Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outputs
Question 
So, I decided this morning today would be the day I finally give this DAW a shot and see what it's all about. Unfortunately I have been met with nothing but frustration and limitations, and for the most part it has been very basic things... e.g. setting multiple track colors at once or even just moving a track into a different order on the editor screen (yes I understand you pull up the clip list and move the tracks in there, but that's incredibly inconvenient). Now for the past 45 minutes it seems, I can't for the life of me figure out how to route my audio from the project to a different source. I have a project open and it's playing through my MacBook pro built-in output, I would like to have the project play through my HDMI port, how can I do this? In any other DAW, you would just go to preferences and set your audio output and be done...

Sorry for the long post, it's just rather frustrating when you are trying VERY hard to give this DAW the benefit of the doubt and it fails after every task. It just seems like everything in this DAW is a few steps short from what a general DAW can do. Undecided

Any help is much appreciated!

*Edit*Exclamation

So I found a super unconventional way of doing it; closing the project, create a new project, select what output source you want in the audio/midi window that pops up, then when you are in the new project, click session up top and open the project you were originally working on.

I guess this is the way I'll do it until someone can tell me another way, I'm sure I am completely overlooking something... Or so I hope. Is there a way to pull up the audio/midi window with out going through the tedious process mentioned above?
(09-07-2017, 10:04 AM)DPH101 Wrote: I can't for the life of me figure out how to route my audio from the project to a different source.
IIRC you should be able to route the output to the "soundcard" of choice in the dialog after selecting the project to open.

(09-07-2017, 10:04 AM)DPH101 Wrote: or even just moving a track into a different order on the editor screen (yes I understand you pull up the clip list and move the tracks in there, but that's incredibly inconvenient).
I find that extremely convenient now that I'm used to it. And yet when I'm in SONAR I find their way of reordering tracks convenient too. I guess I'm of the school that I learn what the tool can do and I use it that way.
My Studio Specs

I track, edit and manage tracks in Studio One Pro V6/CbB. I try to always mix in Mixbus32C.

“It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.”
― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
(09-07-2017, 12:44 PM)bapu Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 10:04 AM)DPH101 Wrote: I can't for the life of me figure out how to route my audio from the project to a different source.
IIRC you should be able to route the output to the "soundcard" of choice in the dialog after selecting the project to open.

(09-07-2017, 10:04 AM)DPH101 Wrote: or even just moving a track into a different order on the editor screen (yes I understand you pull up the clip list and move the tracks in there, but that's incredibly inconvenient).
I find that extremely convenient now that I'm used to it. And yet when I'm in SONAR I find their way of reordering tracks convenient too. I guess I'm of the school that I learn what the tool can do and I use it that way.

Yeah that's what I thought, open a project and it would ask me what output I would like to use, but that's not showing up. If I start a new project I can pick a new output, but what if halfway down the project I use a different output source, am I SOL?

Thanks for the input!
(09-07-2017, 12:53 PM)DPH101 Wrote: Yeah that's what I thought, open a project and it would ask me what output I would like to use, but that's not showing up. If I start a new project I can pick a new output, but what if halfway down the project I use a different output source, am I SOL?

Thanks for the input!

That I cannot say as I only use one soundcard in my machine. Sorry.
My Studio Specs

I track, edit and manage tracks in Studio One Pro V6/CbB. I try to always mix in Mixbus32C.

“It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.”
― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
(09-07-2017, 10:04 AM)DPH101 Wrote: Now for the past 45 minutes it seems, I can't for the life of me figure out how to route my audio from the project to a different source. I have a project open and it's playing through my MacBook pro built-in output, I would like to have the project play through my HDMI port, how can I do this? In any other DAW, you would just go to preferences and set your audio output and be done...

Any help is much appreciated!

go to Window|Audio/MIDI Setup
stop the engine
pick a new driver/device/buffer size (but same sample rate)
start the engine

the routing is under Window|Audio Connections

(09-07-2017, 10:04 AM)DPH101 Wrote: Sorry for the long post, it's just rather frustrating when you are trying VERY hard to give this DAW the benefit of the doubt and it fails after every task. It just seems like everything in this DAW is a few steps short from what a general DAW can do. Undecided

Mixbus is actually quite sophisticated in the routing dept, IMO. But many things are different. Hang in there, the sound quality is worth it Smile
Quote:Mixbus is actually quite sophisticated in the routing dept, IMO. But many things are different. Hang in there, the sound quality is worth it Smile

That's exactly the whole thing, when we are given the freedom to do what we want to do with our audio signal and how to route it, it can be a bit frustrating at start, but that's what makes it great!

Just as richhickey says, hang in there, get used to a different signal workflow because the sound quality is really worth it!

Cheers!
Joe Giampaoli
===============
Never tie a ship to a single anchor
nor life to a single hope...
Stick with it man! It's worth it!
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
I was frustrated at first, but once you start finding where, and how things work it seems quite robust in routing, and function.
Just the lack of need for opening and closing plugins is massive time saver. What it lacks in some features it more than makes up for with work flow. The features it does have are very well implemented. The more I delve into 32C the less I miss features of other DAWs.

Ardour has it's own ways of doing things which with some may have to do with it being multi platform. That being said after getting used to it, and remembering where to find features I haven't been slowed down with tracking or Midi.

It may be how I work with Midi ( mostly the same as I do with audio, playing the instruments then editing ) I'm finding I much prefer MIxbus's one edit window arrangement.