Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Solved] Removing pre-installed unlicensed pugins
Hi

I would like to be able to blacklist or remove the unlicensed demo plugins that are installed with Mixbus and cannot find how. I can understand the reasons including for them, including collaboration, but I have no plans to collaborate, cannot afford them and I do find it disruptive to my workflow to load a plugin to find that I cannot use it.

many thanks
Guy
Hi Guy,

What OS are you using? Generally speaking, you open the Mixbus application folder, find the libs/LV2 subfolder, and remove the items that you don't want.
(07-07-2017, 03:21 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Hi Guy,

What OS are you using? Generally speaking, you open the Mixbus application folder, find the libs/LV2 subfolder, and remove the items that you don't want.

Hi Ben
Thanks, I have found it. Sorry I should have said I am using Debian Linux; the folder is /opt/Mixbus-4.0.703/lib/LV2/

Sorry - I am too used to doing all these things with apt. Thanks for your help.
(07-07-2017, 04:01 PM)English Guy Wrote: Sorry - I am too used to doing all these things with apt. Thanks for your help.

Hi fellow Debian user Smile
You could as well have ticked "hide" for the particular plugins in the plugin manager. That keeps them physically intact just in case but they don't pop up anymore unless you click "show hidden".

MMM
(07-07-2017, 07:56 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Hi fellow Debian user Smile
You could as well have ticked "hide" for the particular plugins in the plugin manager. That keeps them physically intact just in case but they don't pop up anymore unless you click "show hidden".

MMM

Hi there. Sorry if this OT but as you are a fellow Debian user, may I just ask, do use alsa or jack? I know alsa is recommended but jack works better on my system.
(07-08-2017, 06:01 AM)English Guy Wrote: Hi there. Sorry if this OT but as you are a fellow Debian user, may I just ask, do use alsa or jack? I know alsa is recommended but jack works better on my system.

Jack all the way. You can't beat that flexibility.

MMM
(07-08-2017, 07:05 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 06:01 AM)English Guy Wrote: Hi there. Sorry if this OT but as you are a fellow Debian user, may I just ask, do use alsa or jack? I know alsa is recommended but jack works better on my system.

Jack all the way. You can't beat that flexibility.

MMM

Indeed Smile, I also noticed that on an empty project the DSP load was 5% less with Jack than Alsa (but Alsa on Linux was still about 18% less than a more powerful machine on Windows Wink ).
(07-08-2017, 07:48 AM)English Guy Wrote: Indeed Smile, I also noticed that on an empty project the DSP load was 5% less with Jack than Alsa (but Alsa on Linux was still about 18% less than a more powerful machine on Windows Wink ).

That's because jackd reports average load, while Mixbus' ALSA backen reports worst-case.
jackd can x-run (actual DSP load > 100%) while reporting a low average load.

JACK's routing capabilities are awesome but that aside, the built-in ALSA backend is not only a tad more effective (no context switch), but also allows to calibrate MIDI latency (jackd can't do that).
(07-08-2017, 04:55 PM)x42 Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 07:48 AM)English Guy Wrote: Indeed Smile, I also noticed that on an empty project the DSP load was 5% less with Jack than Alsa (but Alsa on Linux was still about 18% less than a more powerful machine on Windows Wink ).

That's because jackd reports average load, while Mixbus' ALSA backen reports worst-case.

JACK's routing capabilities are awesome but that aside, the built-in ALSA backend is not only a tad more effective (no context switch), but also allows to calibrate MIDI latency (jackd can't do that).

Thanks for that. A lot of my workflow uses the DAW synced to Hydrogen drum machine, unfortunately at the moment I cannot see a way to do that in Alsa (I am still trying I will post if I do!Big Grin)
(07-08-2017, 04:55 PM)x42 Wrote: jackd reports average load

[...]

I'm not sure that's true (not in Jack2 anyway). It only reports the average if all values are less than 95%. Otherwise, it reports the maximum value.

In the early days of Mixbus3, I remember us chasing the problem you described (x-runs occurring, even when the DSP reading was low). But it wasn't due to Jack. We were just reading the values too infrequently (i.e. very brief x-runs were slipping through unnoticed). Sad
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!