Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracks on live recording out of sync
I have been using mixbus for a few months now recording to my Lenovo t410 running win 7 from a Yamaha m7cl using the auvitran Asio streamer to get audio via Ethernet. Aside from one crash about 2 months ago, it's gone very well. However, I played back the tracks from last week, I noticed they were out of sync, even though the regions lined up, were all the same time length and data size. The only thing I can think that was different was that there was one song, down twice, with 3 backing vocals, so I only record enabled those tracks for that song. But through the whole session (2 church services with top notch jazz musicians, who were most definitely not playing out of sync) the tracks are not lining up as they played. All of the drums are in sync with each other (kick, snare, stereo OH) but out with everything else, etc. in moving the tracks around, I am getting them to line up but it's taking a lot of them and it's very sensitive with the groove.

Has anyone had this happen? Also, when I was working on lining them up earlier I got a crash and hadn't saved in a few minutes, so I lost that bit of lining up work. I'm noticing on my Mac as well that once I move regions around a bit or do some repeated commands I'm able to crash mixbus. It seems more sensitive over the past few weeks, I'm not sure why.

Anyway, any ideas would be helpful. I'll check today's tracks later to see if it happened again. The only thing I can think of is maybe I accidentally clicked on some offset setting or something? Not anything I am aware of existing but anything new is possible I guess. Very strange, I know it wasn't played like that, the musicians involved have played on countless major recordings and tours and sounded fantastic last week when it was live, so something happened as it got recorded.

Thanks.
When I record on backing track to have some latency is normal, sometimes not disturbing most times has to be lined up. It does not bother me, I received professional recordings where the drums, OH, Room .. had to be lined up or at least phase aligned, other tracks BGV ranges, syllables also have to be adjusted on the timeline maybe at a lot places. It belongs to the editing process. So dragging a whole track to its place is nothing in comparison. Therefore it also does not bother me if recording through a bus with processing and it has some latency in the recorded waves. Naturally in the headphone I manage to hear real time, no delay for the performer. Dragging tracks never causes crash in Windows.

One thing may cause crash for me if I move my fingers faster on the keyboard or mouse than the software needs to finish its previous taskSmile Really, I remember when I recorded our band at rehearsals, they said a lot times "Slowly.." and sometimes: "Save it!"Smile Not only MB but with other DAWs as well.
Did you record all tracks at the same time? No overdubs? If so, everything should be aligned sample-sync, data as provided by the audio-interface.
Can you quantify how much out of sync the individual tracks are (right click on the clock, switch to "samples")? That might shed some light, if it's a technical issues (eg. exactly one buffer-size) or something else.

If you did overdubs. The obvious issue would be round-trip latency (playback --> soundcard -> speaker/headphone -> play-along ---> record). There's usually systemic-latency which needs to be calibrated (Window > Audio/MIDI setup). Also all current Mixbus releases have a bug: The master-bus limiter latency is not compensated for: keep it disabled when doing overdubs. In those cases the regions themselves would not line up, though.

As for the crash, there's a long-standing issue with "2 operations at once" e.g. you start a drag with the mouse and before finishing it, press some keyboard shortcut to perform another action.
Live recording of a jazz church service, no overdubbing. The regions themselves are lined up, meaning they all started and stopped recording at the same time but there are tracks that are musically out of sync. Yesterday's recording was fine, I checked it after I posted. The only thing I can think of is that only recording the backing vocal tracks on the song that they occurred could have caused an issue, or maybe I had inadvertently sent the first and drum tracks through some sort of output delay on the m7cl (but different ones, because drums and guitar were also out of sync). To be clear again, the players were definitely not out of sync when it was played, it is definitely some sort of tech issue, either with mixbus or something I did inadvertently on the board. No output delays should have anything to do with the direct outputs via ethernet to the computer but who knows, strange things do happen.

I'm finding with mixbus (and have been using version v2 on and off) that it either works perfectly or really fiddly , with no middle ground. The results with the sound make it worth the trouble, but there are some funny things.
Maybe just call the backing vocalists down from the pulpit. 5 meters of sound in air is 14 ms delay right there Smile j/k
(07-03-2017, 12:48 PM)x42 Wrote: Maybe just call the backing vocalists down from the pulpit. 5 meters of sound in air is 14 ms delay right there Smile j/k

Ha! But seriously, they were right in front of the drummer and the bleed is out of sync too, stage isn't THAT big!- backing vox weren't out of sync though anyway. Besides, the Soundman is good with monitors there to minimize any distance issue ...
Low stage volume is the key! Next is mic placement, then the control box setup.
Unfortunately in my experience most musicians here cannot understand it. General opinion I heard of bands they never enjoyed what they here (if hear) on the stage. I talk about all others not me. When I was asked to mix live my condition was to do what I suggest, if not, hire anyone else. When I played in bands (drums) I always told I want to hear on stage music like at home on hifi, pleasant volume great balance. Most cases they did not have patience enough to set it.

I remember but few cases when they were partners in it and after the concert I heard they telling each other:" I cannot understand, I was not loud, it was so soft, and I heard everything..., did you hear the singer, too?" But 95% of the cases they start ok then begin to turn their dammed knobs on the gtr and combos and mess up hell loud everything. I stopped mixing live because of this behavior.
(07-04-2017, 12:18 AM)Tassy Wrote: Low stage volume is the key! Next is mic placement, then the control box setup.
Unfortunately in my experience most musicians here cannot understand it. General opinion I heard of bands they never enjoyed what they here (if hear) on the stage. I talk about all others not me. When I was asked to mix live my condition was to do what I suggest, if not, hire anyone else. When I played in bands (drums) I always told I want to hear on stage music like at home on hifi, pleasant volume great balance. Most cases they did not have patience enough to set it.

I remember but few cases when they were partners in it and after the concert I heard they telling each other:" I cannot understand, I was not loud, it was so soft, and I heard everything..., did you hear the singer, too?" But 95% of the cases they start ok then begin to turn their dammed knobs on the gtr and combos and mess up hell loud everything. I stopped mixing live because of this behavior.

Huh? I'm not sure if that was in reference to anything I wrote, but to be clear I'm the Soundman and it was a joke. It's a jazz service, so it can get a little loud but definitely not "rock n roll" loud.

Again, to be clear, something strange happened in the recording, nothing to do with anything happening onstage. The more I think about it I may have hit a delay somewhere on an output or something. I can't figure it how that would have happened, so I guess that's the mystery.
It may well be a bug in Mixbus, although I can't see it, nor explain it nor reproduce it.
I tried with a test-tone 2 tracks: First track always records and rec-am the second track while recording. They're in sync. I also checked rec-off during recording and punch in/out. All fine.
You're the first to report this issue, so chances are that it's something on your side, but without further evidence it could be anything.
I use a similar system to record the services at my church. Swap out an iLive with Dante feeding a Mac mini running reaper.

Anyway I've always been a bit leery of using MB to record. I wasn't using it exclusively when I started using this system. I was still using PT at the time. And didn't want to constantly move my ilok or buy another license. So that's why I chose reaper.

I've been planning to switch over to waves' tracks live or ardour. Since they are all ardour based and use the same session files. I've even considered mixbus. But seeing as the Mac mini is a C2D machine, why put the extra CPU overhead on it while tracking? Anyway probably not the most useful post, but I will be keeping up to see if you find the cause. So far I've not encountered an issue like this. I've simply forgotten to start the recoding. Undecided and seeing as I play on stage, we've missed the first song or two a couple of times in 5-6 years.