Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus 32C 4 .ptx import
(05-15-2017, 06:56 PM)Chriscut1 Wrote: Hi John - what exactly does Ardourxchange do? I have been wracking my (admittedly addled) brain over this - ideally I would have a routing option in my PT I/O direct into Mixbus with perhaps Re-wire handling sync between PT/Mixbus. That way I can still work my production method in PT but utilise Mixbus mixing section without the need to render multitudinous wav files for export/import.

That would be the ideal here but I am amenable to alternatives

Hi Chris - as Matt mentioned, ArdourXchange allows you to import AAF sessions (or OMF sessions) into Mixbus. It's kinda similar to using stems - except that you can usually carry on editing the clips once they're in Mixbus. It won't be useful though if you need to use AAX plugins.

It sounds like you need a "mixer only" version of Mixbus !
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(05-16-2017, 05:17 AM)johne53 Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 06:56 PM)Chriscut1 Wrote: Hi John - what exactly does Ardourxchange do? I have been wracking my (admittedly addled) brain over this - ideally I would have a routing option in my PT I/O direct into Mixbus with perhaps Re-wire handling sync between PT/Mixbus. That way I can still work my production method in PT but utilise Mixbus mixing section without the need to render multitudinous wav files for export/import.

Hi Chris - as Matt mentioned, ArdourXchange allows you to import AAF sessions (or OMF sessions) into Mixbus. It's kinda similar to using stems - except that you can usually carry on editing the clips once they're in Mixbus. It won't be useful though if you need to use AAX plugins.

ah thanks John yes I do really just need a mixer only version of Mixbus in a nutshell, at least until such time Mixbus can offer the same MIDI stability (every time I have tried to use my electronic kit to trigger and record using Addictive drums 2 VST it just crashes) and a few other problems are addressed and rectified. It doesn't undermine my respect for Mixbus though, I love its sound and mixing section so much which is why I am going to these lengths to find that holy grail that a serious amalgam of PT 12 and Mixbus 32C 4 really would be...

(05-15-2017, 09:03 PM)Matt Wrote: I totally get where you're coming from. And I don't think Harrison is trying to make people switch. I believe it to be a unintended result of them trying to improve mixbus. They have changed the audio backend for the better. In the process dropped direct support for JACK, which is what made the previous set up possible, but with an end goal of making mixbus more stable. And I'm not sure JACK even supports windows 10. So a move that was necessary, even if it did make routing another daw into mixbus more difficult, if not impossible.

But you also have to consider that they have added midi. In previous versions that was a no go. You would have to do all the midi work in another daw and transport it into mixbus. So that's something that's been added to make MB more usable for everyone.

Also there is a way to get plugs like neutron working in mixbus. A vst host plug in. I already had blue cat's MB-7 as a way to host vst's in pro tools. Turns out it can host vst's that don't seem to work so well with mixbus. I also use it as a multi band stereo spread tool. So it has plenty of uses for me. But is another added investment.

And lastly, it's more than just the EQ and compressors that give mixbus its sound. They guys at Harrison have created a killer digital processing/summing engine. You won't ever be able to recreate that in another daw.

So keep holding out hope. I know one day it will get there. It's already improved leaps and bounds. Enough that I'm happy. But do understand it's weaknesses too.

And I won't go on too much of an avid rant. But basically I bought a MPTK, to see those features added in for free. Then a CPTK for that to be dropped, and given a choice of either, ponying up for PTHD and it's out of my budget subscription, or losing those features for a subscription price I could afford. Then during the time I had my subscription, nothing of any use to me was added. It also became evident .x bug fix updates wouldn't be included if your subscription expired. Like they originally said would happen. And there's a penalty for letting it expire. So basically they said keep your subscription up to date or else!!! Oh and it's not a subsciption. It's a "support plan". I can count on one hand the number of times I've used any of their support services.

And the saddest thing for me was, I really had been considering finding a way to upgrade to HD|N. I hadn't because, I'm not doing this professionally, and I now have a wife and 3 boys and 2 jobs. So I have more to think about with an investment like that. And for them to try and force it down my throat was simply too much.

Honestly I haven't missed it. I happily pay for a plugged in membership to Harrison, and donate monthly to ardour. Have most of harrion's plug ins, and some of X42's, and altogether it has cost me much less than keeping a PTHD license current. And it's a product and company I believe in.

Anyway again I get that it's now quite there for you. But I think it's closer than you think it is.
aye its all expense and pay out innit Matt. Nature of the technological beast. I have reached a point though where I can achieve all I ever wanted, which is basically produce and engineer my own music in my own home to a highly professional degree www.martinastoncontraband.co.uk

Only Pro Tools has proven time and time again to be the only feasible route, and it is has not been an easy path; I was using Soundscape back in the early 90's and in many ways that was a superior system (gone the way of the Dodo now though)
I remember other packages such as SAW (software audio workshop) that just gave users a sore bottom..:-)

Mixbus 32C4, greatest digital mixing platform ever devised, without a doubt; Pro Tools 12, stable reliable fast and efficient, AVID are just making money and let's face it, we all need to do that. Harrison great consoles and company - my needs are different and we can all say that too, for me, Mixbus 32c4 mixing section plugged directly from Pro Tool 12.7 editor would be the answer to my wildest dreams (well some of 'em anyroad ha ha) :-) rgds bro keep rocking C

(05-16-2017, 01:15 PM)Chriscut1 Wrote:
(05-16-2017, 05:17 AM)johne53 Wrote:

ah thanks John yes I do really just need a mixer only version of Mixbus in a nutshell, at least until such time Mixbus can offer the same MIDI stability (every time I have tried to use my electronic kit to trigger and record using Addictive drums 2 VST it just crashes) and a few other problems are addressed and rectified. It doesn't undermine my respect for Mixbus though, I love its sound and mixing section so much which is why I am going to these lengths to find that holy grail that a serious amalgam of PT 12 and Mixbus 32C 4 really would be...

(05-15-2017, 09:03 PM)Matt Wrote: I totally get where you're coming from. And I don't think Harrison is trying to make people switch. I believe it to be a unintended result of them trying to improve mixbus. They have changed the audio backend for the better. In the process dropped direct support for JACK, which is what made the previous set up possible, but with an end goal of making mixbus more stable. And I'm not sure JACK even supports windows 10. So a move that was necessary, even if it did make routing another daw into mixbus more difficult, if not impossible.

But you also have to consider that they have added midi. In previous versions that was a no go. You would have to do all the midi work in another daw and transport it into mixbus. So that's something that's been added to make MB more usable for everyone.

Also there is a way to get plugs like neutron working in mixbus. A vst host plug in. I already had blue cat's MB-7 as a way to host vst's in pro tools. Turns out it can host vst's that don't seem to work so well with mixbus. I also use it as a multi band stereo spread tool. So it has plenty of uses for me. But is another added investment.

And lastly, it's more than just the EQ and compressors that give mixbus its sound. They guys at Harrison have created a killer digital processing/summing engine. You won't ever be able to recreate that in another daw.

So keep holding out hope. I know one day it will get there. It's already improved leaps and bounds. Enough that I'm happy. But do understand it's weaknesses too.

And I won't go on too much of an avid rant. But basically I bought a MPTK, to see those features added in for free. Then a CPTK for that to be dropped, and given a choice of either, ponying up for PTHD and it's out of my budget subscription, or losing those features for a subscription price I could afford. Then during the time I had my subscription, nothing of any use to me was added. It also became evident .x bug fix updates wouldn't be included if your subscription expired. Like they originally said would happen. And there's a penalty for letting it expire. So basically they said keep your subscription up to date or else!!! Oh and it's not a subsciption. It's a "support plan". I can count on one hand the number of times I've used any of their support services.

And the saddest thing for me was, I really had been considering finding a way to upgrade to HD|N. I hadn't because, I'm not doing this professionally, and I now have a wife and 3 boys and 2 jobs. So I have more to think about with an investment like that. And for them to try and force it down my throat was simply too much.

Honestly I haven't missed it. I happily pay for a plugged in membership to Harrison, and donate monthly to ardour. Have most of harrion's plug ins, and some of X42's, and altogether it has cost me much less than keeping a PTHD license current. And it's a product and company I believe in.

Anyway again I get that it's now quite there for you. But I think it's closer than you think it is.
aye its all expense and pay out innit Matt. Nature of the technological beast. I have reached a point though where I can achieve all I ever wanted, which is basically produce and engineer my own music in my own home to a highly professional degree www.martinastoncontraband.co.uk/music

Only Pro Tools has proven time and time again to be the only feasible route, and it is has not been an easy path; I was using Soundscape back in the early 90's and in many ways that was a superior system (gone the way of the Dodo now though)
I remember other packages such as SAW (software audio workshop) that just gave users a sore bottom..:-)

Mixbus 32C4, greatest digital mixing platform ever devised, without a doubt; Pro Tools 12, stable reliable fast and efficient, AVID are just making money and let's face it, we all need to do that. Harrison great consoles and company - my needs are different and we can all say that too, for me, Mixbus 32c4 mixing section plugged directly from Pro Tool 12.7 editor would be the answer to my wildest dreams (well some of 'em anyroad ha ha) :-) rgds bro keep rocking C

sorry link should be http://www.martinastonscontraband.co.uk/music/