Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lua script requests
Hopefully this thread will be a place to collect Lua script requests from users.

Lets use numbers to mark our requests in order to scan them more easily. Making the font bold would increase the readability even more.

1. Gainstage all waveforms to -18 RMS.

The idea is to even out the RMS of the files` waveforms in non-destructive way with one click and then finetune it further by ears. -18 RMS seems a good choice to input into analogue emulation plugins.
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
Not a one-click solution, but in object (grab) mode: ctrl+a (select all), Alt+3 (region > gain > normalize) can do this already.

Apart from that, there is such a script already: a snippet "Normalize Regions" comes bundled with Mixbus4.
It be turned into an Editor-Action with minimal changes, but a small problem there is that there's no progress report (the GUI stalls while the script runs). Adding the capability to display script-progress is in the queue.
(05-05-2017, 04:45 PM)x42 Wrote: Not a one-click solution, but in object (grab) mode: ctrl+a (select all), Alt+3 (region > gain > normalize) can do this already.

Apart from that, there is such a script already: a snippet "Normalize Regions" comes bundled with Mixbus4.
It be turned into an Editor-Action with minimal changes, but a small problem there is that there's no progress report (the GUI stalls while the script runs). Adding the capability to display script-progress is in the queue.

Thanks a lot, Robin! Really appreciated for the hint. So disregard my #1 script request.

Alt+3 brings the window with an option for Constrain RMS to: x dBFS. What does this exactly mean and how is it connected with Normalize to: value?
Say I have a snare which peaks I want to limit to -9dBFS. So I normalize it to - 9 and the peaks wont go higher -9. So the RMS value reduced as well (Constrain RMS to: is unticked).
What happens if I enter some value in Constrain RMS to:? I tried several numbers but loudness analyzer returns the same LUFS for both ticked and unticked variants.
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
I won't disregard this. It's a nice idea, and we've also discussed a similar feature (which is how the example snippet came to be): An event-hook that runs the script after every import and record-stop and normalizes regions automatically as they come.

I just lacked the time to see it all the way through and since there's a relatively easy way to do it with Mixbus' built-in features it somewhat dropped in priority.

The "constrain" is a logical "AND" (commutative): Apply gain so that RMS is -9dBFS AND make sure that the peak is not > 0dBFS (don't clip).
In most cases leaving the peak at 0, will effectively just uses the RMS value to calculate the gain factor. -9 default is probably a bit on the hot side, though.
I would love scripts that would allow global toggling of automation play, write, touch and manual modes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's arguably something that Mixbus should eventually provide toolbar buttons for: "Drop all into write", but if "all" includes every possible parameter (incl plugin params), that can be quite expensive and needs special casing (initial write pass or something).

That being said, to put all tracks faders to write is as simple as:
Code:
for track in Session:get_tracks():iter() do track:gain_control():set_automation_state(ARDOUR.AutoState.Write) end
Awesome! Fader automation was all I really meant. So I could create the additional scripts but replace "write" with the other modes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(05-06-2017, 09:08 AM)superb Wrote: Awesome! Fader automation was all I really meant. So I could create the additional scripts but replace "write" with the other modes?

Exactly. "Off", "Write", "Touch", "Play" (the enumeration is http://manual.ardour.org/lua-scripting/c....AutoState )

Or you can add a dialog, to select the mode (but then it's not a one-click script).
(05-06-2017, 12:01 PM)x42 Wrote:
(05-06-2017, 09:08 AM)superb Wrote: Awesome! Fader automation was all I really meant. So I could create the additional scripts but replace "write" with the other modes?

Exactly. "Off", "Write", "Touch", "Play" (the enumeration is http://manual.ardour.org/lua-scripting/c....AutoState )

Or you can add a dialog, to select the mode (but then it's not a one-click script).

That works great!

Thanks!
Kind of super specific, but I'd like to be able to disable/enable all plugins globally (including mixbus channels) with a part in the script that allows us to not affect something— let's say an amplifier plugin. I've already edited the disable plugins script and made another one to enable plugins, but it doesn't disable anything on mixbus channels with everything selected and it disables the amplifier plugins that have been set thru the "Faders to Trims" script. Basically it'd be lovely to have a quick "before and after" type script.