Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Faderport 8 and new MBV4 Update
Holy crapola!

We just got a whole lotta functionality using the faderport 8 and MBV4

Looks like all the channel strip controls are all mapped out on the controller "out of the box" as well as the ability to control 3rd party plugs to a large degree.... not sure if there are mulitiple pages or if you are limited to one page of 8 parameters because I haven't dove deep into the docs or experimented very much yet but my initial observations are super positive!

Edit: Looks like all third party plugin parameters that can be controlled via the faders in plugin mode in scrollable banks with the param knob after you enter the plug in control .....very cool!
This probably means that the MB32c channel strip will be totally controllable by the faderport8 faders via "edit plugin" mode.

One of the only super cool features using the Faderport8 with Studio One that is not implemented in MixbusV4 is the ability of the main encoder knob (the larger one on the right above the transport) to actually horizontally scroll thru the mixer section and quick select a channel by pushing down on the knob. I've gotten used to this with Studio One and it's a super quick way to navigate thru the board.

Is this a programming feat in Mixbus that is difficult to achieve?? Not complaining here.... just curious.

Thanks Harrison.... you guys are great!

Craig
Hi Craig,

Being able to select a track via Navigation Encoder press is a nice suggestion. Mixbus' interaction has largely been based on the Studio One as described in the FP8 Owner's Manual. The feature you mention is not documented in section 2.4 of the manual. It's easy to to add. In which mode does pressing the encoder select a track "Channel" mode ?

General mapping has been documented for Ardour: http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-s...aderPort8/

There are a few differences for Mixbus:

* Mix Management:
- Busses = Mixbusses
- FX = Aux-busses

* Fader Modes
- "Edit Plugins" always includes "well-known" channel-strip controls which are present on all tracks/busses (Comp, EQ). They're pinned to slot 7,8.
- "Sends" includes Mixbus-sends first (any aux-sends are right of them, use the pan/param knob)

As opposed to Ardour, in Mixbus there are always Sends and Plugins on every track/bus.

Also for Mixbus: Editing Mixbus channelstrip-controls does follow track selection. When selecting a new track, the Send and Plugin controls of the given track/bus are displayed.
For "Sends" the "M" (Mute or Mixbus) controls Mixbus assigns. The right-most "S" (Solo or maSter) is mapped to the Master Bus assign.
The documented case "Once a plugin has been selected, it stays in edit mode regardless of channel-selection" remains true for 3rd party plugin-inserts.

Mixbus Faderport 8 support is at about 90%. Subtle refinements to make it more ergonomic just take time and we're also not 100% set on the interaction.
There is the usual long tail of details: e.g. As opposed to the GUI, changing an EQ parameter does not yet enable the EQ; Timecode display is currently always timecode, no musical Time (Bar/Beat); the meter-level display is rather jittery; 3rd party plugin GUIs are not automatically opened/closed etc.
and yes, we're certainly open to suggestions as well.
PS.

(04-29-2017, 12:07 AM)Craig Wrote: One of the only super cool features using the Faderport8 with Studio One that is not implemented in MixbusV4 is the ability of the main encoder knob (the larger one on the right above the transport) to actually horizontally scroll thru the mixer section and quick select a channel by pushing down on the knob. I've gotten used to this with Studio One and it's a super quick way to navigate thru the board.

On 2nd thought it isn't that easy. While the encoder scrolls through the tracks (currently editor only), but there's no highlight which track would be selected. One option would be to select the topmost track in the editor (which can scroll all the way).
So the $24,000.00 question - since the Presonus Faderport 8 integration has happened, the next logical step would be support for the new Presonus StudioLive III yes ?
(05-01-2017, 12:01 PM)ham1bone Wrote: So the $24,000.00 question - since the Presonus Faderport 8 integration has happened, the next logical step would be support for the new Presonus StudioLive III yes ?

And that would be awesome.

I have a CS 18AI that need some Mixbus love too!!!!

Craig
(05-01-2017, 12:01 PM)ham1bone Wrote: So the $24,000.00 question - since the Presonus Faderport 8 integration has happened, the next logical step would be support for the new Presonus StudioLive III yes ?

Yes. So how do I now claim those $24k to buy a StudioLive III to add support ? :-)
Gah, I should have said "No" and claimed those 24k as correct answer anyway Tongue

PS. FaderPort 8 support was made possible by PreSonus sponsoring a NFR device. Thanks PreSonus!
(04-29-2017, 04:42 AM)x42 Wrote: Hi Craig,

Being able to select a track via Navigation Encoder press is a nice suggestion. Mixbus' interaction has largely been based on the Studio One as described in the FP8 Owner's Manual. The feature you mention is not documented in section 2.4 of the manual. It's easy to to add. In which mode does pressing the encoder select a track "Channel" mode ?

General mapping has been documented for Ardour: http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-s...aderPort8/

There are a few differences for Mixbus:

* Mix Management:
- Busses = Mixbusses
- FX = Aux-busses

* Fader Modes
- "Edit Plugins" always includes "well-known" channel-strip controls which are present on all tracks/busses (Comp, EQ). They're pinned to slot 7,8.
- "Sends" includes Mixbus-sends first (any aux-sends are right of them, use the pan/param knob)

As opposed to Ardour, in Mixbus there are always Sends and Plugins on every track/bus.

Also for Mixbus: Editing Mixbus channelstrip-controls does follow track selection. When selecting a new track, the Send and Plugin controls of the given track/bus are displayed.
For "Sends" the "M" (Mute or Mixbus) controls Mixbus assigns. The right-most "S" (Solo or maSter) is mapped to the Master Bus assign.
The documented case "Once a plugin has been selected, it stays in edit mode regardless of channel-selection" remains true for 3rd party plugin-inserts.

Mixbus Faderport 8 support is at about 90%. Subtle refinements to make it more ergonomic just take time and we're also not 100% set on the interaction.
There is the usual long tail of details: e.g. As opposed to the GUI, changing an EQ parameter does not yet enable the EQ; Timecode display is currently always timecode, no musical Time (Bar/Beat); the meter-level display is rather jittery; 3rd party plugin GUIs are not automatically opened/closed etc.
and yes, we're certainly open to suggestions as well.

X42,

I have a question..... I noticed when I clear mute or solo with the FP8 dedicated buttons I cannot recall the mute or solo state that I cleared by immediately pressing the button again. This can be done in
Studio One. Is that something that you guys didn't get to or is it a programming challenge to make it work in MBV4?

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Craig
Hi Craig,

Mixbus4 doesn't have a mixer-undo nor does it save previous state for immediate recall, so this is currently not possible. Interestingly enough a very similar request came up just a couple of hours ago: http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-4489.html
Is the FP8 fully working with 32c V4? Everything on the channel strip controllable, including the 12 mixbus sends?