Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U-he Presswerk - Limiter overshoot
Hi,

I am demoing Presswerk ( Mixbus 3.7 and AV Linux 2016.8) for a few days and must say it sounds really good to my ears I am thinking about purchase... but when I put Presswerk on master channel and engage Limiter mode to get final loudness I get overshoots (clipping) on master channel. (master fader set to 0.. no other plugins on master)

Limiter output is set to -0.45 dbFS but Mixbus reads -0.1 dbFS and I get overshoots (this is not happening with Calf limiter and LSP limiter)

Did you expirienced something simmilar? Is Presswerk limiter mode brickwall limiter?

Best
Drazen
Hi Drazen,

I use Presswerk all the time, when you have the Limiter Window open is it clipping into the red on the 'Input' side? Sometimes I have to trim the Input side before the Limiter. Also Presswerk sounds great but it can get kind of nasty if you get in excess of -8.00db, secondly are you sure that Mixbus' native Master limiter is disabled?
Hi GMaq,

Presswerk is not clipping on the input and Mixbus master limiter is disabled.
I shoot for just 2-3db of reduction.

I run Presswerk in DEMO mode (limitation is that plugin introduce random noises every 20 seconds as a protection) so that may cause an overshoot but still metering issue stays the same.... Presswerk output is set to -0.45dbFS but Mixbus reads -0.1dbFS and then overshoots. (when I put Calf or LSP limiter on master, Mixbus reads exactly the same number as set on limiters output)

Did you experienced that behavior?

Best

Drazen
I'm curious about how you get the dbFS output reading from Mixbus. So far I look at the K-14 meter for output. The fader meter will show the input, same as Presswerk.

Hi jonetsu,

number on bottom right... on master channel show dbFS (in your picture meter shows -1.5 )

when I put limiter on master fader and set desired final output Mixbus always reads it right... but with Presswerk.... final output on limiter does not corresponds to number that Mixbus reads

Best

Drazen
I see. Yes it's a bit puzzling. I'm at odds currently with metering. This year I will try to have an output that can be compared to commercial productions and metering accuracy is important I find. Some people say just go with your ears but I don't think it's enough.

Another question here would be why is this peak value remaining at -1.5 when Presswerk's output is cranked all the way up, the Mixbus limiter engages, the K-14 meter is almost at the top, and distortion is heard all over. But the recorded peak stays at -1.5. Must be some kind of imposed ceiling.

Also, another related question would be what is the benefit of not having K-14 meters all accross the tracks and busses meters as the default Mixbus configuration is made of ?
Hi jonetsu,

Mixbus limiter has fixed output to -1dbFS so if you are using another limiter on master channel, disengage Mixbus master limiter.

Having two limiters on master, one set to -1dbFS (built in limiter) and other set to -0.1 or similar (Presswerk) is not a good idea... because you are pushing limiter with higher output into limiter with a lower output....

Try this: disengage builtin limiter and put Presswerk on master, set Preswerks output to -0.3 dbFS and go for loudness that is ok for you ( monitoring K-14 meter) ... do you get overshoots?

Best
Drazen