Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Install Question
While installing to Linux this warning appears : This system uses high frequency scaling which may affect latency. Turn it off using the 'governor'.

Que?

Mint and Ubuntu Studio
"Frequency scaling" means that the CPU's can be slowed-down to save power or battery life.

This can hurt audio performance, because Mixbus's demands can vary greatly, moment-to-moment. If the cpu is in power-saving mode when you try to start recording, for example, you might get pops & clicks. For best audio performance, you must disable this feature, or have it temporarily disable itself when you launch Mixbus.

You'll have to investigate the exact details of how this is controlled on your version of linux.

Best,
-Ben
(02-10-2017, 03:49 PM)briver Wrote: While installing to Linux this warning appears : This system uses high frequency scaling which may affect latency. Turn it off using the 'governor'.

Que?

Mint and Ubuntu Studio

...what Ben said...
To change (works with Debian based distros, such as Ubuntu and Mint):
https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/CpuFrequencyScaling
Don't read further than Installation and Configuration, the rest is rather confusing for most

Possible names for governors are listed here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation...ernors.txt

I'm pretty sure Ubuntu and Mint (basing on Ubuntu) have a graphic tool for that, too but I don't remember the name. Just search for something like CPU frequency scaling...

HTH
MMM
I created a little script 'cpugov' for my system to change the governor as cpufreq-set didn't do what I expected for related cores:

#!/bin/bash
for cpu in `seq 0 5`;do
sudo cpufreq-set -g $1 -r -c $cpu
done

The seq 0 5 is for 6 cores, so change the 5 to one less than your core count.

Run it before mixbus:
./cpugov performance

And return to default:
./cpugov ondemand

It uses the cpufrequtils package.
(02-10-2017, 06:40 PM)Domino Wrote: I created a little script 'cpugov' for my system to change the governor as cpufreq-set didn't do what I expected for related cores:

#!/bin/bash
for cpu in `seq 0 5`;do
sudo cpufreq-set -g $1 -r -c $cpu
done

The seq 0 5 is for 6 cores, so change the 5 to one less than your core count.

Run it before mixbus:
./cpugov performance

And return to default:
./cpugov ondemand

It uses the cpufrequtils package.

Thanks all! That's a new one on me, I 'll get to it later. Just wondering, if Ardour is installed by default in UbuntuStudio by default, doesn't it need the same throttling?
(02-11-2017, 06:49 AM)briver Wrote: Just wondering, if Ardour is installed by default in UbuntuStudio by default, doesn't it need the same throttling?

Yes. Anything that needs max performance from your system will benefit from changing the governor.
I installed KXStudio and a Low Latency Kernel on another machine yesterday, I see that Cadence has a settings dropdown for the Scaling...but it's empty.
Going to put Mixbus in later and see what's what. Thanks all.
One problem after another. Getting frustrating now. And just to note: I knew I saw Frequency Scaling somewhere before. It's a Menu Item on Slacko64...one of my favourite Linux distros, but not one normally associated with Audio production.