Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make sidebars appear automatically
In mix view, putting the mouse cursor to the leftmost edge makes the favorite sidebar unfold by itself wihtout the need to click and drag.

Same with the monitor sidebar at the right.

In edit view the rightmost sidebar would behave the same.
Good idea!

Note that you can hide&show the sidebars from the View menu; and you can assign a keybinding to them. One nice benefit of doing it from a keybinding is that it will "remember" the width you like, when it is shown.

-Ben
Hovering on an edge with the mouse would also make a sidebar appear at the last saved width. Just like many OSes bottom bar (or tab or whatever it's called)

IMHO it would be a bit pointless to have the mouse automatically stick to the edge, requiring the user to pull the sidebar away and then to click it down at the desired width. Too complicated. Simply making the sidebar appear at the last saved width is more practical as the mouse pointer automaticall lands somewhere in the sidebar ready to do something.

As for the key bindings I find it a bit daunting to program them, not knowing perhaps which standard ones can be replaced without knowing, but I will try: a key binding would also be practical. I'd like to keep them as standard as possible, and discover some from time to time.

Also, the F* keys, which I would use to jump between saved windows do not work (saving the wndows work though, and using the menu to recall them also) so it does not build confidence in key bindings.

UPDATE: I looked at the key bindings list (Alt-k) and did not find any description for allowing key bindings for any sidebar.
@jonetsu: the upcoming v4 release has a much better keybindings editor, and more options to bind things. I may be getting confused with the new features vs the older.

Thanks for the suggestions !
(01-26-2017, 10:29 PM)jonetsu Wrote: UPDATE: I looked at the key bindings list (Alt-k) and did not find any description for allowing key bindings for any sidebar.

The old keybindings editor indeed is a bit of a mess, so I never bothered to search there much. But on Linux (and AFAIK it also works on Windows) it's easy to change keybindings by hoovering over a menu item and pressing the desired key combo.

But as Ben already noted the new key bindings editor will be a lot better and has a search function. Smile The method with hoovering over a menu item has been removed though, AFAIK.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
Note that the "Views" ( F-keys ) only stores the track & timeline "zoom" information. It doesn't store windows positions.
(01-28-2017, 08:16 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Note that the "Views" ( F-keys ) only stores the track & timeline "zoom" information. It doesn't store windows positions.

The most important are those two. I tend to put plugin GUIs on another desktop (Linux) or even two other desktops if there are many opened. It's easy to switch desktops. Desktps can even be 'themed' eg. desktop 5 holds all master bus plugins, desktop 4 holds the guitar processing, etc..

Now that saving/recalling views works for F keys greater than 3, it makes it one step easier to focus on the music.
(01-28-2017, 08:16 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Note that the "Views" ( F-keys ) only stores the track & timeline "zoom" information. It doesn't store windows positions.

It could be nice to have them saved within a session.