Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing AVL Drumkits LV2!
Hi,

Just passing along this screencast of the new AVL Drumkits LV2 plugin in Ardour 5.5 created by Robin Gareus:

https://youtu.be/4idMZTxTaY8

More info here: http://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-avldrums

Huge thanks to Robin for taking the AVL Drumkits to the next level!

*Please note - The fanning out to Audio tracks shown in this video is not currently available in Mixbus 3.7 but will be available in future versions.

Glen MacArthur, AV Linux Maintainer
Love it! Question: will the sampler engine ever support importing our own multisamples? And if so, in what format? What format does the sampler use in its current form? SFZ? SF2?
thx to people like RG, BL and Paul davis we can have pros products.

Installed AVLDrums on win10 but they doesn t not appear on ardour5 and mixbus3 as i'd like to try it can i have some help ? regards Wink I need some help please because i'd like to use this plugin on my mixbus asap :0) thanks again !
Harrison Mixbus 4.3|Reaper5|Waveform8| Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS
I might be wrong, but this do not work properly in Mixbus before the 4 series arrive?

I've tested it in Ardour 5 and it works as expected there.

And given the very simple expression opportunities and very small sample set, I would say it sounds amazingly good! :-)
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Hi guys

Sorry for the late reply, too many forums to follow...

@ Qualitymix,

The plugin itself is not a 'sampler' it is an LV2 wrapper for the existing .SF2 versions of the drumkits, you can't load alternate samples into it or a different .SF2 file. Whatcha see is whatcha get Smile

@Ilaw

Sorry I don't have any Windows machines to test the Windows versions, you'll need to talk to RG (x42) since he compiles the Win versions on his website: http://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-avldrums

@Jostein

It will function fine in MB(+32C) 3.7 on a stereo MIDI track, MB simply does not have the ability to fan out into multiple tracks or busses yet... Glad to hear you like the samples Smile
(01-25-2017, 10:55 PM)GMaq Wrote: It will function fine in MB(+32C) 3.7 on a stereo MIDI track, MB simply does not have the ability to fan out into multiple tracks or busses yet... Glad to hear you like the samples Smile

The multi out version works as well - you'll just have to do the fanning out (including switching the pin connections to multi out) manually in MB3.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
(01-23-2017, 04:21 AM)Ilaw Wrote: thx to people like RG, BL and Paul davis we can have pros products.

Installed AVLDrums on win10 but they doesn t not appear on ardour5 and mixbus3 as i'd like to try it can i have some help ? regards Wink I need some help please because i'd like to use this plugin on my mixbus asap :0) thanks again !

Sorry, that's my fault. This should be fixed in v0.2.2-2 (2017-01-27 or later). Thanks for brining the issue to my attention.

Details:
The issue at hand, on windows the x42-plugins show in their own window, not swallowed by Mixbus and the plugin description for that was missing...

PS. I'll launch a build now, v0.2.2-2 may show up earlier than tomorrow.
(01-22-2017, 06:28 PM)Qualitymix Wrote: Love it! Question: will the sampler engine ever support importing our own multisamples? And if so, in what format? What format does the sampler use in its current form? SFZ? SF2?

It's .sf2 (and fluidsynth under the hood as engine) and no you cannot import your own samples.

The main point of the avldrums plugin is ease-of-use and workflow optimization. From a user's perspective it's not different than
  1. Load the .sf2 into your favorite sample-player plugin
  2. Name the output ports (match samples to channel)
  3. Write or write a .midnam file to describe the MIDI note mapping
  4. Tell mixbus about the midnam file
(and a few details: e.g. if you share or archive the session: include the external soundfont, not all sample-player plugins do that)

Watching some users coming from - say - garageband, we'll have lost those at step 1 already.
The idea is to get you going, and once you reach the limit, move on to Kontakt or Addictive Drums etc or hire a drummer --- and if you want to get the exact same awesome sound and can afford it: hire AVlinux who own the drumkits that were sampled Tongue

PS. If you're looking for a generic .sf2 player, there are various plugins around, and Mixbus4 will include one, as well
(01-26-2017, 06:10 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote:
(01-25-2017, 10:55 PM)GMaq Wrote: It will function fine in MB(+32C) 3.7 on a stereo MIDI track, MB simply does not have the ability to fan out into multiple tracks or busses yet... Glad to hear you like the samples Smile

The multi out version works as well - you'll just have to do the fanning out (including switching the pin connections to multi out) manually in MB3.

Yes, I used that manually pin connection from the beginning. :-) I even have to do this in Ardour 5.

So how do I add a MIDI stereo track? When adding a new MIDI track, the configuration option is disabled with mono as default. When pinned out, the kick goes to the left, snare to the right and the other items are quiet. The pin out to Audio is not here either. That's why I assume that this will not work as expected before the 4 series.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(01-26-2017, 07:12 AM)Jostein Wrote:
(01-26-2017, 06:10 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote:

Yes, I used that manually pin connection from the beginning. :-) I even have to do this in Ardour 5.

So how do I add a MIDI stereo track? When adding a new MIDI track, the configuration option is disabled with mono as default. When pinned out, the kick goes to the left, snare to the right and the other items are quiet. The pin out to Audio is not here either. That's why I assume that this will not work as expected before the 4 series.

I guess GMaq's description might have been a bit misleading, as Midi tracks do not have audio ports by default to begin with. These only appear when adding a plugin wich has audio outputs.

So for the multi out version, just add it to the Midi track, then open the pinout dialog and select "9 channels" from the output preset dropdown. Create idividual tracks or busses for the channels, disconnect their default input connections (if any), then use the output routing grid of the midi track to route to the individual tracks. Don't forget to unassign all mix and master bus assignments on the Midi track itself.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c