Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Batch Processing
Would it be possible to expand on the Export dialogue so that the source is not necessarily the open session but a folder of raw files? For instance, I have an HHB Flashmic that sounds a bit sterile, could I build a plug in chain in Mixbus to add a little compression and some colouration, de-ess, set normalisation and etc. in the Export dialogue, and save this chain as some sort of preset; then, whenever I wanted to automate a batch process, I'd point Mixbus to a set of files which it would pull through the processing and save out the other end?

It could even get more elaborate and, say, play out in real time through a send to outboard gear and record back the resulting file. So if I had 30 files that I wanted to process through an outboard compressor, I could just set the chain and let it process through overnight.

It seems like most of the functionality is already there on the 'out' side. Would be great if it could act as a batch processor as well (would be especially useful if it could also deal with and embed BWAV metadata to some extent too). This is more from a broadcast journalist perspective, which I'm sure is a limited group of users, but could be of use for anyone wanting to obtain a consistent 'signature' sound.
(12-14-2016, 03:20 AM)thequietamerican Wrote: Would it be possible to expand on the Export dialogue so that the source is not necessarily the open session but a folder of raw files? For instance, I have an HHB Flashmic that sounds a bit sterile, could I build a plug in chain in Mixbus to add a little compression and some colouration, de-ess, set normalisation and etc. in the Export dialogue, and save this chain as some sort of preset; then, whenever I wanted to automate a batch process, I'd point Mixbus to a set of files which it would pull through the processing and save out the other end?

It could even get more elaborate and, say, play out in real time through a send to outboard gear and record back the resulting file. So if I had 30 files that I wanted to process through an outboard compressor, I could just set the chain and let it process through overnight.

It seems like most of the functionality is already there on the 'out' side. Would be great if it could act as a batch processor as well (would be especially useful if it could also deal with and embed BWAV metadata to some extent too). This is more from a broadcast journalist perspective, which I'm sure is a limited group of users, but could be of use for anyone wanting to obtain a consistent 'signature' sound.

something like a playlist in vlc : out put via Jack or a loop device from the AD converter into mixbus : record the processed signal : Put marker and export ?

VLC = a media player

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
There are command-line tools like "Sox" which are much better suited to this, if you really want it automated and you are adding exactly the same effect every time.

------

Power-users will have a lot more options with Mixbus v4, which includes a command-line utility for opening Mixbus sessions from your own C code; and also an internal scripting system using the Lua language.

-------

But the strength of using the Mixbus GUI is that you might choose to make manual edits and tweak the processing for the best quality. You might try these steps to speed up the process:

1) create a session with "N" tracks which match your typical recorder layout.
2) apply de-essing, compression, etc as-needed.
3) save this session as a Template.

Then to utilize the template, you would create a new session using the template, select the tracks and "Import files to selected tracks". Then audition the result, and "export" it.

I hope this helps!
-Ben